Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #2

You're on Page 14 of 34
Go to
  • Kale Salad
    I tried a very simple kale salad tonight and I loved it. The original recipe is from Nora Gedgaudas's site which also has a recipe for the kale chips.

Kale Salad
    Kale torn up into small pieces (My interpretation: nothing larger than 2" x 2")
    Something acidic: juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (I used a lime-garlic juice)
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    pepper
    olive oil
    nuts (Phase 1 & 2 you could use 1/3 cup of soy nuts)
    tomato - diced (I didn't do this, tomatoes in my part of the world are watery and bland now. I thought about some thinly sliced red onion though)

Rub the salt and the acid into the kale pieces. Let it sit for up to 5 minutes to wilt (cook!) the kale a little.
    Add the olive oil and pepper. Toss the kale with the oil.
    Sprinkle with the (soy) nuts.
    Serve.
  • A site with low carb veggie recipes
    Came across this link but haven't really checked it out.

A Veggie Venture
  • Hot Chocolate
    I decided the cold weather required a warm treat!

I took one packet of chocolate pro pudding (Vitamin Shoppe) and added to 10 ounces of hot water that I warmed first in the microwave. I added a very small amount of almond extract. Although it was difficult to get it all mixed, it was VERY good. Nice to know I can have a cup of hot chocolate before bed on these cold winter nights.

Next time I might actually mix it first with my shaker cup and then try to heat to a nice warm temp on the stove. It would take longer, but it might be worth it.

Any other winter treat ideas out there?
  • pumpkyparry's pancakes from crispy cereal packet
    Quote: I made pancakes out of the Crispy Cereal packet by adding 2 egg whites, 1/4 tsp baking powder, McCormicks vanilla, butter, nut extract, splenda, dash sea salt, and enough water to make pancake batter...spray frying pan and put batter in...turn over when light brown and cook other side...makes 2 nice sized pancakes... Serve with WF pancake syrup....,youd never know it was cereal.
    cross-posting from another thread to where people will likely look for it!
  • I am a Chinese food fanatic, I have been craving Chinese for a while now and I dont remember if I found a recipie on here or on Google but I make beef and broccoli-

I finely chop up cauliflower put it on a baking sheet and slip into the oven for 5 min at 350 degrees for your "rice"

Steam your stew meat or stir fry meat in a pan (add a little bit of water)
    put 2 handfuls of broccol inside of the pan when the meat is finished cooking and cover with a lid
    after about 2-3min Pour Walden Farms Asian dressing over top, let it simmer for about 3-5 min, the dressing will thicken up as it cooks.
    I add in my salt to this as well

hopefully this helps anyone out there for their Chinese cravings!
  • I just started IP and wanted to spice my dinner meals up and came up with this shrimp recipe

Hot spicy shrimp salad

7oz shrimp tail off and deveined
    3/4 cup mushrooms sliced
    3/4 cup zucchini
    1/2 cup red pepper
    lettuce sliced
    1 tsp olive oil
    hot sauce to taste

- Take olive oil add to frying pan and cook shrimp, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms until shrimp are done and vegetables are the consistancy you like.
    - Add hotsauce to taste and stir around the frying pan coating shrimp and vegetables.
    - Pour on shredded lettuce and enjoy.
  • Big Mac Salad Recipe
    Could someone please re-post this receipe for me.

I keep forgetting to write it down when I come across it.

Thanks a bunch!

L
  • BIG MAC (no cheese) IN A BOWL
    • 46 grams dill pickle slices or 2 dill spears, chopped, about 1 5/8 ounces
    • 2 tablespoons WF Thousand Island Dressing
    • 1 1/2 ounces iceberg lettuce, shredded
    Brown the ground beef, drain off any fat, season with salt and pepper.. Meanwhile, soak the dry onions in a little water to rehydrate them. Put the meat in a large salad bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Toss and eat at once.
  • Quote: BIG MAC (no cheese) IN A BOWL
    Brown the ground beef, drain off any fat, season with salt and pepper.. Meanwhile, soak the dry onions in a little water to rehydrate them. Put the meat in a large salad bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Toss and eat at once.
    Thanks for posting it Couts!!!
  • Wow, this sounds good! Also the WF asian dressing sounds good too!
  • From 101 Cookbooks
    This sounds quite adaptable to IP plan, and good (for Thanksgiving?).

Kale and Olive Oil Mashed Potato Recipe

For this recipe, be sure to wash the kale well (or spinach, or chard) - dirt and grit hides in the leaves. I don't like floppy leafiness in my potatoes, so I chop the kale quite finely. If you stir the kale in too much it can lend a slight green cast to your potatoes, so i just barely stir it in right before serving. Also, on the potato front - feel free to use unpeeled potatoes if you like something a bit more rustic (and nutritious). I picked up some yellow-fleshed German Butterball potatoes at the market last week and they added the visual illusion that the mashed potatoes were packed with butter. Didn't miss the real thing a bit.

3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
    sea salt
    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bunch kale, large stems stripped and discarded, leaves chopped
    1/2+ cup warm milk or cream
    freshly ground black pepper
    5 scallions, white and tender green parts, chopped
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish (opt)
    fried shallots, for garnish (optional)

Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil and continue boiling for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chopped kale, a big pinch of salt, and saute just until tender - about a minute. Set aside.

Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork. Slowly stir in the milk a few big splashes at a time. You are after a thick, creamy texture, so if your potatoes are on the dry side keep adding milk until the texture is right. Season with salt and pepper.

Dump the kale on top of the potatoes and give a quick stir. Transfer to a serving bowl, make a well in the center of the potatoes and pour the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with the scallions, Parmesan cheese, and shallots.

Serves 6.
  • Buttered Turnip Puree
    In my search for IP recipes for Thanksgiving I came across this recipe in the Food Network Magazine.

Buttered Turnip Puree
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence for Food Network Magazine

Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:20 min
    Level:
    Easy
    Serves:
    4 servings

Ingredients
    3 large turnips, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
    1 quart milk
    3 fresh thyme sprigs
    1 clove garlic, peeled and gently smashed with the side of a knife
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Combine the turnips, milk, thyme and garlic in a medium saucepan. Set over medium heat and partially cover the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the turnips are tender-the tip of a paring knife should go through without resistance.

Drain the turnips, reserving the cooking liquid, and transfer to a food processor (discard the thyme sprigs). Add about 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and the butter, season with plenty of salt and pepper and puree until smooth. Add more of the liquid, if necessary. Serve hot.
  • Saw this on the veggieventure website....not totally IP...but it looked good and healthier than the original!!!

World’s Best Green Bean Casserole

Prep Time: 30 mins
    Cook time: 15
    Serves 8 in small-ish servings

2 Q water (8 C)
    1 T salt
    1 lb. fresh green beans, snapped into bite-sized pieces

Boil water and prep beans. Make an ice-bath. Add salt and beans to boiling water. Cover and cook for 6 mins or until crisp-tender and still bright green. Drain beans then ice bath them. Drain again. Place a double layer of paper towels on a a baking sheet, arrange beans in single layer to dry, top with a double layer of towels to pat dry.

8 oz. baby portabella mushrooms
    1 T unsalted butter
    1 T fresh garlic
    1t salt
    Fresh ground pepper
    1 ½ T flour
    ¾ C Chicken Stock
    1 T dry sherry
    ¾ C half & half or heavy cream
    salt and pepper

Clean the mushrooms, break off and discard stems. Break the mushroom tops into pieces. Melt the butter in a skillet until shimmery. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Stirring often, cook until mushrooms begin to soften and exude their liquid, about 6 mins. Stir in flour and cook a minute. A tablespoon at a time at first, add the chicken stock and sherry; bring to a simmer. Add the half & half, simmer until sauce thickens, about 10-15 mins. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the cooked beans until they’re evenly distributed throughout the sauce.

1 slice good whole grain bread
    1 T unsalted butter
    ½ a 2.8 oz. can of French fried onions
    1/8 t. of salt
    1/16 t. black pepper
    (The topping was cut in half)

In the food processor, process the bread, butter and seasonings in about 10 quick pulses. Stir in the onions- don’t process. If making ahead, transfer to a storage container and refrigerate.

TO BAKE RIGHT AWAY: Preheat oven to 425F. Transfer hot bean mixture to a greased quiche pan or baking dish. Top the beans with the topping mixture and bake uncovered for 15 mins.
    TO BAKE LATER: Transfer bean mixture to a greased pan (hold off on topping). Cover with wrap and refrigerate. Return to room temperature. Remove wrap, heat in 425F oven uncovered for 10-40 minutes until hot and bubbly. (Allow more time for deeper dishes). Add topping and bake for another 15 mins.

138 cal.; 4 g protein; 9 g total fat; 5 g sat. fat; 12 g carb; 3 g fiber; net carbs 8; 54 mg Cal; 1 mg iron; 218 mg sodium; 16 mg cholesterol; WW 2 pts.
  • Quote: BIG MAC (no cheese) IN A BOWL
    Okay, OMG OMG OMG!!! I made this for supper last night (kids had sweet potato fries instead of lettuce in theirs), and it was SO GOOD!!! REALLY REALLY REALLY tasted like a Big Mac!!! OMG! Thank you so much for this recipe!!! It's my new favorite!!! AWESOME!

Thanks!!!
  • Quote: Saw this on the veggieventure website....not totally IP...but it looked good and healthier than the original!!!
    I'll say it isn't IP. I'd think twice before having it in Phase 4.