Featherweights Plan and Chat in March

You're on Page 13 of 19
Go to
  • Stella, you will finish this 5k, and that`s all that counts
  • OK girls - sounds like our train is ready to roll down the track. I'm babysitting today so I will move around in the house - tomorrow it's back to the gym.

Trying to get more fiber and protein in the eating plan today - don't know what caused the detour. This may just be a part of the journey. I am trying to figure out more about the trends and patterns of my eating and my body.
    Usually by this time I have lost the weight and gone back to "my old life".

I really intend this to be a life plan - so it will be really interesting to see where I am in six months. The journey ---- it continues.
  • Mind if I join in the Start Fres It's Monday crew? I'm dithering around about the exercise part of my life and need to reacquaint myself with the use of the bike sitting in my living room!

Best!

spanky
  • Hey Stella......my 5K is in May and I'm currently on Week 6 of the Couch 2 5K training program. I'm doing well, but at the beginning, I seriously wouldn't have believed I could run for this long! I've never, ever, been a runner and never imagined I could be! Best of luck in your upcoming race! I am scheduled to finish my training a few weeks before the race, so I'm thinking I'll just run 3.2 miles a few times during those weeks. Not sure yet what I should do once the "official" training is done. I guess repeating the last week is a good thing? Also, I feel like I'm kinda slow in running just like you do. But running the whole time is my goal.....I have no real time goal at this point.

Danni.....I'm right with you on the fiber and protein. I've been trying hard to increase fiber in recent months and it's helping. One thing I added to my diet is 2 TB of flaxseed per day. I add it to my morning oatmeal, and I swear it makes me feel better (and fuller) throughout the day. I also remind myself constantly how this is not a diet, but a healthy lifestyle change. It helps to think of it that way.

Susan...sounds like a fun weekend with your daughter and grandbaby! And a loss to boot?? That's awesome!

Joan....you can get back on track. Just do it today and you'll feel better!

Ilene.....hope the cold gets better! No fun at all!

Hi to everyone else I missed!!!!!
  • Good afternoon, ladies! My weekend was okay. I ate off-plan Friday and Saturday nights for special events, but not so bad that I felt bad about it. DH's birthday was the Friday night meal and I did have cake and ice cream, but less than I have in the past. Saturday it was a fundraising dinner that I could've handled better, but it wasn't a high fat meal or anything, so not terrible.
    Just had a nice chicken stir fry for lunch..YUM! It was a good way to use up some leftover brown rice and get LOTS of veggies! Now, I just need to get in some more activity today. Maybe a nice afternoon walk....
  • Thanks Ilene!!!

Kellost, are you doing the C25K by distance or time? If distance, you and I are at about the same spot! I WISH I was making the times on there, hehe.

Once I get the three miles down, I'm going to start trying to pick up time, maybe with some interval training. My goal is to do 3.1 in under 35 min, and then I think I'll extend to 4 mi., and keep going from there.
  • I'm on track today too! And the pork roast in the crock pot smells delicious!

Now, if I can make myself fling some weights around tonight ...

This thread is really encouraging today!
  • kellost - I already put cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon, and wheat germ in my oatmeal. I might as well throw some flaxseed in there also.
    I take 2000mg of flaxseed oil each day - but I guess that isn't fiber. I have never bought flaxseed - is it ground flaxseed?

Today I tried eating 1/4 cup of All Bran (10 grams fiber per serving) for a snack. I am full. I think paying more attention to fiber may be the ticket for me.

Choo-choo, choo-choo ---- I knew I could, I knew I could.
    And the Little Engine Did!
  • Quote: Doughnut Thanks for the info on stone vs pound. I love to watch "You are What You Eat" show with Gillian.
    Of course I love the accent but it is also fun to hear the difference in several items. soda - fizzy drinks, chips - crisps, french fries - chips. We also order alot of the tv English detective series to watch. I lived in Ipswich for about 6 months back in 1967. Would love to visit again.
    Ah yes, our Gillian's a bit of a national treasure here - the woman everybody loves to hate! As for the difference in the language I always find it entertaining; somebody (can't remember who) once said of England and the US "two great nations divided by a common language". I've only just learnt what zucchinis are and they're one of my favourite veggies!

Ipswich? I am dying to know how on earth you ended up there for 6 months. Were you anything to do with RAF Woodbridge by any chance? Finally on the Danni quizzing which English detective series do you like?

Well if nobody minds I'd like to slink on in with the rest of you who have been rather off plan. I had a fabulous long weekend but I overindulged a tad - ok loads - and I daren't face the scale. I think I'll leave it at least a week, if not two, as I want the last thing I remember seeing on the scale is 153

Kamesennin - welcome!
  • Quote: kellost - I already put cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon, and wheat germ in my oatmeal. I might as well throw some flaxseed in there also.
    I take 2000mg of flaxseed oil each day - but I guess that isn't fiber. I have never bought flaxseed - is it ground flaxseed?
    Yes, I bought pre-ground flaxseed. They have it at my Superwalmart near the specialty flours, etc. From what I've read, you should not get the whole flaxseed because your body does not digest it. You need to get the ground flaxseed or grind it yourself before adding it to foods. Look up the benefits of flaxseed on the internet and you might become a believer! I figure it can't hurt, it's helping keep me full and if it can help prevent cancer, diabetes, etc....that is another added bonus! My mom turned me onto it, and now I'm hooked. I didn't eat any flaxseed at all while on vacation, and I could definitely tell a difference, digestively......LOL!
  • Quote: Thanks Ilene!!!

Kellost, are you doing the C25K by distance or time? If distance, you and I are at about the same spot! I WISH I was making the times on there, hehe.

Once I get the three miles down, I'm going to start trying to pick up time, maybe with some interval training. My goal is to do 3.1 in under 35 min, and then I think I'll extend to 4 mi., and keep going from there.
    Well, I'm doing it by time, I guess, because the program has me run so many minutes, then walk so many minutes. The most I've run straight without walking is 20 minutes thus far. This week, it's 25 minutes, then 28 minutes, and 30 minutes in the final week. I'm not quite sure how much mileage I'm covering in those minutes, but I feel like I jog a little slow! I figure as long as I'm running and not walking, I will count it, even if it is slow. I think I'll try to track my mileage vs time to see how fast I'm actually running. I had one friend tell me to aim for 10 minute miles, another tell me that a 12 minute mile was perfectly fine. For me, it's okay if I'm slow. Just being able to run a 5K race is such a big accomplishment, especially from where I was last year at this time!!! I'm glad to have found a 5K buddy on here!
  • Doughnut - TV series: We watch Midsomer Murders. This week we also tried Secondsight. If you have any you like please let me know.

Ipswich: My husband was stationed at an Air Force Base there. Is it still there or did they close it down? Or was it an English Base? Is it still there? We were suppose to be there 3 years, but they made a mistake and sent us back to the States after 6 months.

Yes, it seems like this was a bit of a bad week for many of us.
    I will look for the ground flaxseed this week. Many of the health books I read do mention it as a good thing to include in your diet. My doctor is the one who suggested Flaxseed oil when I asked him about taking fish oil.

Is everyone ready for a Terrific Tuesday?
  • We-ell, my first long run I did two 13 1/2 min miles and today (cold and windy, don't forget--that has to matter, LOL) I did about 15 min miles. I was jogging, but I know there are people that walk faster, lol.

I am trying so hard just to be proud of myself for accomplishing something that I never thought I could ever accomplish, but I'm such a perfectionist it's hard to give myself credit for doing as well as I have.
  • Doughnut - TV series: We watch Midsomer Murders. This week we also tried Secondsight. If you have any you like please let me know.

Ipswich: My husband was stationed at an Air Force Base there. Is it still there or did they close it down? Or was it an English Base? Is it still there? We were suppose to be there 3 years, but they made a mistake and sent us back to the States after 6 months.

Yes, it seems like this was a bit of a bad week for many of us.
    I will look for the ground flaxseed this week. Many of the health books I read do mention it as a good thing to include in your diet. My doctor is the one who suggested Flaxseed oil when I asked him about taking fish oil.

Is everyone ready for a Terrific Tuesday?
  • Stella -- you're doing exceptionally well with your running, don't be so hard on yourself... Last September I did a 10k and a speed walker, a very old speed walker at that, passed me ...

Today was very good... but I didn't exercise...