Ideal Protein WEEKLY Chat, Feb 29- March 7, 2010

You're on Page 2 of 30
Go to
  • Quote: While we can use Binaca breath spray and Listerine breath strips, they may have limited effect on bad breath. Bad breath tends to come from anaerobic bacteria which produces volatile sulphur compounds. Onions, garlic (which contain mercaptans), and protein will especially contribute to this. To deal with it one need to scrape the papilla of the tongue to clean out the anaerobic bacteria, and use an oxygenating or zinc product to neutralize the VSCs.
    I think I like the clove idea better...
  • [QUOTE=Ruthxxx;[/QUOTE]

FYI the link attached to the previous thread does not bring you to our new thread. If there is any way you can fix it we would appreciate it. Would hate to lose anyone who might not be able to find us.

Thanks a Bunch
  • I know we have a lot of Canadian friends on here so off topic, I wanted to say congratulations on the hockey game - well played by both sides.

Nice Olympics all in all.

Okay, back to IP......
  • Quote: I think I like the clove idea better...

It's not as bad as it sounds. You can get some good gums with oxygenating and/or zinc compounds. The one I use is called TheraBreath, and it is really quite good.
  • Quote: I know we have a lot of Canadian friends on here so off topic, I wanted to say congratulations on the hockey game - well played by both sides.

Okay, back to IP......
    Yep...awesome hockey game, althought I was cheering for the USA. Sad that the USA looked sooooo sad about it. Overtime for goodness sakes boys...you rocked it! All of them! I so LOVE the Olympics. Anyway....

And right now I am loving non-IP food. Or thinking I am loving it because I want nothing else. But I am just going to get off the computer and go make my pork chops and stir fry cabbage and like it! YUM! So close to making to 30lbs lost, don't want to mess it up any more than I might have already!

What are some of your favorite social meals lately? I know we have discussed before, but lets do it again for some new ideas!

I love plain and simple...the fewer ingredients and prep work, the better. Chicken breast with various spices baked with stir fry mushrooms and spinach are a several times a week favorite! And I also love a hamburger (lean ground beef or turkey, onion flakes or powder and sea salt) cooked on the indoor grill with spicy mustard and turnip fries! YUM!
  • Quote: I know we have a lot of Canadian friends on here so off topic, I wanted to say congratulations on the hockey game - well played by both sides.

Okay, back to IP......
    I'll chime in here, too... spent a few childhood years in Oshawa, Ontario and worked for a Canadian company in the US some years back... lots of Canadian friends. You guys totally rocked these games. Congratulations!
  • Quote: I am getting sooo bored with my lunch meals. What are you guys eating for your veggie serving for lunch? 90% of the recipes in the recipe section has a protein in it, and I am soooo tired of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, cucumber, radishes and mushrooms. so tired...
    I might have a few suggestions-
    1. Omelet mix with sautee zucchini, summer squash, spinich and mushrooms (you could probably throw some bell pepper in there too). This of course has a protein in it.

2. Grilled zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers and portabello...First I use a mandoline to make wide, long strips of the zukes and summer squash, I then sautee them a bit in water, herbs and low sodium chicken broth to get them a little limp before I put them on the grill. Olive oil if needed and sea salt

3. Divide your 5 oz protein in half (eat 1/2 at lunch and 1/2 at dinner)...For example, lunch I had my cabbage chicken soup which is about 2" water in a saucepan, 2 cups shredded cabbage, garlic powder and hot sauce. I boil this for awhile and add in some additional low sodium chicken broth and sea salt. Bits of tomato when allowed. After it's close to finished, I throw in 2.5 oz chopped chicken. This can be bland so salt and right amount of hot sauce and seasonings is needed. I love cabbage so this is very easy for me to eat and is very filling. I put more sea salt on top before eating.

Just made dinner with remaining 2.5 oz chicken in a stirfry with low sodium chicken broth, garlic, evoo, fresh ginger, broccoli, bean sprouts, bok choy, green onions, mushrooms and bit of red bell pepper. First I sauteed up the veggies and added in soy sauce. Threw in the chicken chunks last and when done, put on a pretty plate with dab of hot mustard

When you divide the protein and add it to other stuff, it stretches it out and can be very satisfying.
  • Hey everyone, I hope all is well with everyone!

I have a couple NSV's - made it through the date with my husband with no cheating...I think planning ahead really helped; I went in there with a game plan and stuck to it! We also had people over today for the Gold Medal Mens Hockey game and there were all kinds of yummy snacks to indulge on but instead I made Ritiki's Marinated tofu and it was FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing the recipe Ritiki.

I weighed in tonight and I lost 5.7 lbs this week which was a nice ending to a great weekend!

Cheers everyone!
  • Oh I have some news from my coach - apparently at her regional meeting they are now recommending that people only have 1-2 restricted items of any kind per week no matter how long you've been on the diet.

Also here is the answer about why we are supposed to take our calcium:

the reason that we ensure that you are getting more then the daily requirement is because while you are losing weight the body secretes extra acids and depletes the body of calcium. So we ensure that you have more so that your body has enough to use.
  • Ok, had my first NSV today. I attended a party with all kinds of fantastic food (my friend is a wonderful cook). There were countless desserts on top of it all and I stuck to my water. So tough, but feels great. I weigh in tomorrow and hope it shows on the scale.
    Congrats to all of the NSV's and weight losses that I have read about! You guys are very inspiring.
  • Oh who cares if I had a bad day lol....and a small bottle of wine for the game. Yeahhhh Canada...I am SO proud to be a Canadian!! They did such an amazing job with the Olympic games and YES team Canada for winning the Gold medal in Hockey....and a great closing ceremony just as the opening lunch...way to much wine for snack LOL and 8 turkey meatballs for supper and a pack of chocolate soy puffs (Oh I love them) for my 3rd pack of the day.
    Tomorrow is another day but today was a good one!! xox
  • Okay, big slip up today. I've been on the plan exactly three weeks today. I've lost about 18 lbs. Was getting sick of a lot of the IP food and started mixing in some Atkins shakes and bars. I'm now realizing that maybe I made a HUGE mistake by doing this. The scale isn't looking so pretty, so I'm guessing this is the reason why. Stupid me...I just figured that low carb bars would not send my weight loss to a screeching hault.

Starting tomorrow I will be getting off of the Atkins products and fully back on IP. I think this is a great diet, but I'm sorry, the price they want for the packets is absolutely ridiculous. I mean are they blessed by the Pope before they are shipped over from Canada?

I guess I need to hear that there are people who do truly believe in this diet and that this diet is the right way for a person to lose weight. So...anyone got any reassurance for me? I did pick the right diet, right?
  • Quote: Okay, big slip up today. I've been on the plan exactly three weeks today. I've lost about 18 lbs. Was getting sick of a lot of the IP food and started mixing in some Atkins shakes and bars. I'm now realizing that maybe I made a HUGE mistake by doing this. The scale isn't looking so pretty, so I'm guessing this is the reason why. Stupid me...I just figured that low carb bars would not send my weight loss to a screeching hault.

Starting tomorrow I will be getting off of the Atkins products and fully back on IP. I think this is a great diet, but I'm sorry, the price they want for the packets is absolutely ridiculous. I mean are they blessed by the Pope before they are shipped over from Canada?

I guess I need to hear that there are people who do truly believe in this diet and that this diet is the right way for a person to lose weight. So...anyone got any reassurance for me? I did pick the right diet, right?
    Don't confuse the diet with the products. I believe the diet is sound, but if you understand enough about the chemical process, you can duplicate the effects in other (and less expensive) ways. What you pay for with the IP products is convenience and choice. Someone has done all the figuring for you, developed lots of different food flavors and textures, and all you have to do is follow a specific protocol to succeed. It's relatively mindless, which is just what I need.

Suggest you check the Alternate IP Thread. Some folks are having great "do it yourself" success. But you need to cover all the bases in making sure your body gets everything it needs.
  • Quote:

In my opinion, you certainly did pick the right diet. Yes, it's expensive but it's most likely going to be a quick weight loss if you follow it completely so instead of spending $20.00 a week at weight watchers for years you're looking at a couple of months (hopefully!). Also, the prices reflect the cost of the food PLUS the support. I'm assuming everyone has the same set up: a nominal fee up front to get started and then no charge for each weekly weigh-in. I mean, it is a business and these counselors deserve to make a living too so their profits are built into the food instead of charging a consultation fee each week. I figured it's my choice to go on this program and they were very clear about cost up front. I'm biting the bullet and trying to get this done as quickly as possible which keeps me motivated not to cheat. I've completely eliminated all my restaurant and drive thru meals so I think I'm actually saving money when I look at the big picture.

I know it's tough but stick with it if you can. Good luck.
  • I agree with ksb001. I've spent a lot of money on diets that haven't worked. At this point, I am trying this exactly as required-- in a few days I am finishing week 3. I am sure I will look for alternatives to the IP products at some point but right now, this plan is working. I know my personality. Once I start making exceptions to the written instructions, pretty soon anything goes--- I will try to follow this program for as long as I can. I feel better. I can feel the pounds falling off so I know it is working. I am usually too impatient to stick with something for long. This time it will be different! Right now I am just so happy to have found IP!