Metamucil and TMI

• Alrighty, let's just say I've been blocked up for a while, and when it decides it can come out, it's dry and even a little painful. I think I've been drinking enough water but upped it just in case; I've also been having veggies and fruit. I even picked up some Activia in hopes that would help.

In a last-ditch effort for some relief I picked up some clear Metamucil and started mixing it in with my tea, which has worked great!!! Um, except for one thing . . . gas. So much that I didn't even dare go to my aqua fitness class today. I mean, I've never had a problem this severe in my entire life when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll be taking this stuff (I'll certainly be experimenting with smaller doses and would not like to rely on it for long) but I'm wondering . . . has anyone else had this problem? Is it something my body will probably adapt to or do I need to hide out in my house until all this passes?

Sorry for the TMI.
  • use citrucel instead of metamucil. citrucel doesnt cause gas
  • Or you could try Benefiber. It's not the same thing as Metamucil. Metamucil is psyllium, Benefiber is wheat dextrin. But, I don't see any claims about gas with Benefiber, so I'm just going on my own experience. Citrucel does say it doesn't cause gas.

Jay
  • Another vote here for Benefiber.
  • Try adding some more healthy fat to your diet. When I am having this problem I find that I need one of 4 things: 1 - fiber 2 - fat 3 - water 4 - exercise

Usually it is the fat - try adding some olive oil to something
  • Thank you so much everyone!!!
  • Metamucil gave me HUGE amounts of gas... and pain. I switched to citricel.
  • /raises hand for Benefiber. Buy in bulk (pun intended) at Costco.
  • For me - getting up and drinking four big glasses of hot water. That should help.