IP Monthly Chat February 2010 Continued #3

You're on Page 42 of 45
Go to
  • Quote: My paperwork also says 1/2 tsp sea salt.
    I think part of the problem is that there are at least 2 different Phase 1 Protocal sheets circulating out there. I have two, the first (I will refer to as my original) I got from my doctor and the second (alternate) I printed off from one of our threads posted here under IP Phases.

There are some differences. I don't know if Ideal Protein considers one of the two more revised or not. I'm not sure if all the coaches/doctors out there are aware that there are two versions. I brought it to my doctor's attention, she didn't know and she said she'd look into it.

The most marked differences I see are as follows:

- My original Phase 1 paperwork says 1 teaspoon Sea Salt a day, the alternate one says 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt a day.

- My original Phase 1 paperwork says go ahead with (1) restricted item per day (except for spaghetti), the alternate one says "Please note: it is strongly recommended that NO restricted foods are consumed during a dieter's first 2-3 weeks for maximum results" and that both hearty stew and spaghetti are 2x a week max.

- My original Phase 1 says to follow this phase until 80% of weight-loss goal is achieved, the alternate says to follow this phase until 90% is achieved.

- Under allowed vegetables, my original Phase 1 says to have green and red bell peppers (cooked), the alternate one says green pepper is ok but red or other colors other than green must cooked and eaten occasionally - twice a week.

- Under dinner protein, my original Phase 1 says tuna (except red tuna) is fine, but the alternate one says tuna (red tuna- 1x per week)

- Also under dinner protein, my original Phase 1 does not say salmon is allowed, but the alternate one says wild salmon 1x a week

- My original Phase 1 says 1-2 teaspoons a day of olive oil, but the alternate one says 1-2 teaspoons a day of either olive oil or grapeseed extract oil.

Logic would seem to say that perhaps the alternate version of Phase 1 is the more current one as it seems to take more into consideration. It is confusing that there is conflicting information. We depend on our coach or doctor to give us the "correct" version but like I said above, I'm not sure they are all even aware there are two circulating out there. Some coaches may be more on top of what is current news out of Ideal Protein than others. I am guessing that might be the case, I'm not sure.

Regarding salt, I like my sea salt but I try to use less of it on days I am having an IP soup (already loaded with salt).

Hope this is helpful to anyone wondering.
  • Okay...I am seriously upset. Just weighed and I am 166. Yes, I GAINED 5 pounds!! WTH? I swear to God, I have not gone off of this program not one bit. Even my coach was dumbfounded. Here is the kicker...our scales weigh exactly the same, and this morning I weighed in at 161.5. I am so frustrated. My coach said I must be holding onto water. It isn't my TOM or even close to it, so I seriously have no clue what is going on.
  • Quote: I think part of the problem is that there are at least 2 different Phase 1 Protocal sheets circulating out there. I have two, the first (I will refer to as my original) I got from my doctor and the second (alternate) I printed off from one of our threads posted here under IP Phases.

There are some differences. I don't know if Ideal Protein considers one of the two more revised or not. I'm not sure if all the coaches/doctors out there are aware that there are two versions. I brought it to my doctor's attention, she didn't know and she said she'd look into it.

- My original Phase 1 paperwork says 1 teaspoon Sea Salt a day, the alternate one says 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt a day.

- My original Phase 1 paperwork says go ahead with (1) restricted item per day (except for spaghetti), the alternate one says "Please note: it is strongly recommended that NO restricted foods are consumed during a dieter's first 2-3 weeks for maximum results" and that both hearty stew and spaghetti are 2x a week max.

- My original Phase 1 says to follow this phase until 80% of weight-loss goal is achieved, the alternate says to follow this phase until 90% is achieved.

- Under allowed vegetables, my original Phase 1 says to have green and red bell peppers (cooked), the alternate one says green pepper is ok but red or other colors other than green must cooked and eaten occasionally - twice a week.

- Under dinner protein, my original Phase 1 says tuna (except red tuna) is fine, but the alternate one says tuna (red tuna- 1x per week)

- Also under dinner protein, my original Phase 1 does not say salmon is allowed, but the alternate one says wild salmon 1x a week

- My original Phase 1 says 1-2 teaspoons a day of olive oil, but the alternate one says 1-2 teaspoons a day of either olive oil or grapeseed extract oil.

Logic would seem to say that perhaps the alternate version of Phase 1 is the more current one as it seems to take more into consideration. It is confusing that there is conflicting information. We depend on our coach or doctor to give us the "correct" version but like I said above, I'm not sure they are all even aware there are two circulating out there. Some coaches may be more on top of what is current news out of Ideal Protein than others. I am guessing that might be the case, I'm not sure.

Regarding salt, I like my sea salt but I try to use less of it on days I am having an IP soup (already loaded with salt).

Thank you for the excellent analysis, Wyo Sky! BevS, I say cut the sea salt by half and call it a day.
  • Quote: Great plan for the movies...here is another idea too. Try to think about the popcorn in a gross way...for example...look at the kid behind the counter and imagine them just coming out of the bathroom before they stick their hand in there and get your popcorn...who knows where those hands have been or what really went into that popcorn machine...who knows what else got put into that container with the liquid butter flavoring?

Good luck and have fun!
    Wow! What a buzzkill!
  • I am struggling! I want to eat real food, especially sugar so badly! I am in my third week and was highly disappointed after losing only 1/2 lb my second weel and maybe 2-3 lbs at next weigh in if I'm lucky. I have not cheated AT ALL so far. My first week I lost 8 lbs so that was motivating. I am just dying to be done with the phases and be on maintenance so I can be somewhat normal. has anyone experienced such low weight loss? I don't want to use it as an excuse to cheat but it's creeping into my mind! How do you all stay strong?? It's also my "time" which makes cravings unreal. I also suffer from PMDD which is a reallt bad disorder associated with my menstual cycle and when It's bad I use food for comfort, which I can't do now...............UGh! Help.
  • Quote: I double checked and mine is 1/2 tsp also - could it be a typo??
    I don't think so, but I'm going to go right now and email my coach and ask her what gives. Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Quote: I think part of the problem is that there are at least 2 different Phase 1 Protocal sheets circulating out there. I have two, the first (I will refer to as my original) I got from my doctor and the second (alternate) I printed off from one of our threads posted here under IP Phases.

Thanks so much for your input. I got my protocol sheet out and it is a combination of your two sheets. It contains mostly what your alternate sheet says, but it retains the 1 tsp. of sea salt as well as the 80% weight loss before going to Phase 2. Also it doesn't mention the part about no restricted items for the first 2-3 weeks. So there are at least 3 protocol versions out there. Maybe the local franchises pick and choose what they think is best.
  • Quote: Okay...I am seriously upset. Just weighed and I am 166. Yes, I GAINED 5 pounds!! WTH? I swear to God, I have not gone off of this program not one bit. Even my coach was dumbfounded. Here is the kicker...our scales weigh exactly the same, and this morning I weighed in at 161.5. I am so frustrated. My coach said I must be holding onto water. It isn't my TOM or even close to it, so I seriously have no clue what is going on.
    Did you take off your shoes or boots? When you weighed this morning, were you wearing what you were wearing for the official weigh-in? Seriously, I truly doubt you have actually gained weight. Especially if you're following the diet to a T. Have you been lifting weights? Are your clothes still fitting you loosely? I'm sure it's just a glitch in the scale or something. Don't get too discouraged. I have gained a couple of pounds overnight before and then dropped them again just as suddenly. That's why I don't let the scales faze me too much.
  • Quote: Thank you for the excellent analysis, Wyo Sky! BevS, I say cut the sea salt by half and call it a day.
    Thanks, Novak, for your input. My best friend says I'm anal. She does whatever she wants to with the diet and keeps losing almost as much as I have. She doesn't eat all the salt, skips her supplements all the time, eats a bar every day and sometimes an extra packet too. If we get chicken breast sandwiches when we go out to eat, I take mine off the bun, and she relishes every bite, including the bun. In seven weeks, I think I have lost three pounds more than she has. Not that we're competing.
  • Quote: Did you take off your shoes or boots? When you weighed this morning, were you wearing what you were wearing for the official weigh-in? Seriously, I truly doubt you have actually gained weight. Especially if you're following the diet to a T. Have you been lifting weights? Are your clothes still fitting you loosely? I'm sure it's just a glitch in the scale or something. Don't get too discouraged. I have gained a couple of pounds overnight before and then dropped them again just as suddenly. That's why I don't let the scales faze me too much.
    Hi Bev-
    I wear the same thing every weigh in just so I know that I am getting the same results...yup. I am that anal. I started a workout this week and it is pretty hardcore so that may have something to do with it. My hubby thinks it is my body (not used to working out (it has been 6 months at least) in addition to the limited amount of calories) hanging on to every last thing. I am trying to let it go, but it has been a hard afternoon. I know I am going to be fine tomorrow. I am not giving up and will keep working hard and I know I will eventually see the results I want.

I actually contemplated ordering a pizza earlier, but thankfully, I didn't!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
  • Quote: Hi Bev-
    I wear the same thing every weigh in just so I know that I am getting the same results...yup. I am that anal. I started a workout this week and it is pretty hardcore so that may have something to do with it. My hubby thinks it is my body (not used to working out (it has been 6 months at least) in addition to the limited amount of calories) hanging on to every last thing. I am trying to let it go, but it has been a hard afternoon. I know I am going to be fine tomorrow. I am not giving up and will keep working hard and I know I will eventually see the results I want.

I actually contemplated ordering a pizza earlier, but thankfully, I didn't!!! LOL!!!

I had one other thought. They might have recalibrated the scale wrong. I've had that happen at weight-loss facilities before.
  • Ok, so two downers for me today...one food related and one not.

I wish I had come on earlier and read all the posts about movie popcorn, I fell into a bucket of it this afternoon and so wish I had had more will power to avoid it. It didn't even taste as good as my memory is telling me it used to be. I will never get the above mentioned vision of the kid selling it out of my head now though. GROSS!!!

Secondly, as some of you may remember, I am a teacher and this morning a teacher in my neighborhood school was shot and killed while at school. This was a targeted incedent and it was not at my school, but the community is in shock and it just hits so close to home. When you see these things on the news you are always thankful it is not your community/school/someone you knew, but I drive by this school everyday on my way to work. Just so, so , so sad. My heart aches for the young teacher and her family, the school and students. Just senseless!!
  • Quote: Hi Bev-

Did you tell your coach that you started a hardcore workout? If so, he/she should have told you that your muscles are holding on to water. It is caused by the inflammatory process.

When you exercise you are causing micro tears in the muscle tissue. The muscles are now "injured" and your body reacts by sending extra blood cells (fluid) to the injured areas. These blood cells contain special components to help heal the injured areas. The muscle tissue has become inflamed and swollen. Eventually the injured muscle tissue heals and becomes new muscle. And the fluid is released. It's a beautiful process.

Your body is simply holding fluid. Be sure to drink all of your water to help "flush" out your muscles.
  • Quote: I am struggling! I want to eat real food, especially sugar so badly! I am in my third week and was highly disappointed after losing only 1/2 lb my second weel and maybe 2-3 lbs at next weigh in if I'm lucky. I have not cheated AT ALL so far. My first week I lost 8 lbs so that was motivating. I am just dying to be done with the phases and be on maintenance so I can be somewhat normal. has anyone experienced such low weight loss? I don't want to use it as an excuse to cheat but it's creeping into my mind! How do you all stay strong?? It's also my "time" which makes cravings unreal. I also suffer from PMDD which is a reallt bad disorder associated with my menstual cycle and when It's bad I use food for comfort, which I can't do now...............UGh! Help.
    I know the feeling, I am also on my third week and last week, I lost a whole two pounds. My weight in is on Tuesday and I have lost a pound since. with a total of 8 pounds so far, I have been discourages. And with a boyfriend who LOVES those carbs, it has been hard eating that broccolli while he devours the delicious looking pizza.

But I keep telling myself, when I am skinny, that food will still be there. I will still be able to eat it and I will look fabulous doing it. Keep strong! don't give up! As for comfort food, eat the restricted foods, and keep those chocolate drinks and pudding on hand. They help me on days when I am completely down and out. I hope that helps, I have to repeat that speech to myself everyday so I don't go out and eat those carne asada fries I want so bad...
  • Quote: Ok, so two downers for me today...one food related and one not.

I wish I had come on earlier and read all the posts about movie popcorn, I fell into a bucket of it this afternoon and so wish I had had more will power to avoid it. It didn't even taste as good as my memory is telling me it used to be. I will never get the above mentioned vision of the kid selling it out of my head now though. GROSS!!!

Secondly, as some of you may remember, I am a teacher and this morning a teacher in my neighborhood school was shot and killed while at school. This was a targeted incedent and it was not at my school, but the community is in shock and it just hits so close to home. When you see these things on the news you are always thankful it is not your community/school/someone you knew, but I drive by this school everyday on my way to work. Just so, so , so sad. My heart aches for the young teacher and her family, the school and students. Just senseless!!
    I am so sorry to hear that, prayers go out to your community.