HELP! Getting Back on the Wagon?

• So a snow-filled week of cancelled work and classes, and closed gyms led to a week of me sitting in my house with my three room mates, drinking beer, ordering takeout, and not exercising. THEN came exercising. My room mate got me a chocolate truffle-thing heart, my mom (feeling bad that the boyfriend is 3000 miles away in england for v-day) got me a big bag of hershey kisses, and my boyfriend, being the wonderful man he is, surprised me with a GIANNNNNT 25 piece chocolate heart. it would be SO SO sweet, if i hadn't given up candy for the next few months!

i thought it would be easy to get back into the swing of things, especially since I was really devoted to diet and exercise, but now...

i was wrong!!!!!!! i mean im eating healthy and exercising regularly but the snacking has gotten bad. especially while im sitting here looking at my weight in chocolate. i think im going to sneak the one box of candy in the trash and try and give away the hershey kisses, but I know I would totally break my boyfriends heart if I threw away his gift. He's so cute when it comes to that stuff, and I know how excited he was to find a way to send it to me.

so how do i get back into the swing of things!?!?!? HELP! IM DESPERATE!
  • I think you can put chocolate in the freezer ??? Anybody???
  • Yes--chocolate freezes and takes quite awhile to thaw so eating it impulsively would be hard. Excellent suggestion!

J
  • Personally I can't have the temptation around.

I'd eat a very small amount when you feel like you've got control so you can say you enjoyed them....then throw the rest away. Tough, but that's what I'd do.

The best way to get back in the swing of things is simple. Move on to today, don't make it overly complex. After you are back doing good, sit down and look back as to what made you fall off the wagon and think about how to prevent it. But don't start with that, start with just doing good behaviors again...

Good luck!
  • I would save 3 or 4 pieces and give the rest away. Remember that you want to accomplish your goal sooner then later.
  • My mother always freezes her Valentine's chocolate, and a box will last her half a year or so. If you want to keep them and think you have the control to moderate them, I'd also suggest that you freeze them, defrost one every once in a while, and savor. If you can't maintain that control, then it's time to get them out of the house.
  • Quote: My mother always freezes her Valentine's chocolate, and a box will last her half a year or so.
    For real?! Chocolate is my one can't-seem-to-live-without.

I think freezing is a good idea. I also think it's very brave that you want to throw them away. That's probably what I would have to do, especially if they aren't good chocolates. I've become quite the chocolate snob, which is a good thing. Giving them away is also a wonderful thing.
  • I could never freeze it. My teeth would go through the pain just to have the taste. I would give it away. Not the box it came in, just the chocolates. You could always pretend you ate them all. Have one and split the rest with anyone and everyone you like. And say Happy V-day
  • Well, my dad is WELL known for buying giant, 3 lb hearts with 75 pieces or so, so that's 3 pieces a week to last half a year. A piece every other day ain't bad.

We received a wonderful selection of 20 gourmet chocolates from my FIL for Valentine's Day (they're from Fran's Chocolates, one of my favorite chocolatiers, and so delicious), and the box arrived on Wednesday of last week. So far, DW and I have split one or two a night (so half to one truffle total) most nights (but not all). It's been almost a week and a half and we still have half of the box left. And I'm really, truly enjoying them and savoring them (especially my all-time favorite, dark chocolate salted caramels).

But it took a looooooooong time for me to be able to resist like that. Now I look at my little perfect half truffle and think - before, I would have eaten 6-10 of these rapid fire, and hardly tasted them. Now my little half is treasured, savored, and gives me about 100 times the enjoyment of scarfing them, with a fraction of the calories (and none of the guilt!)
  • yeah and freezing it means its still there buuut i dont know. i threw out a good bulk of it so i think its just time to step my game up and get back to work.

a lot easier said than done. the gym is harder than it was in the past!
  • regardless of the whole candy thing (i kinda regret mentioning that haha) i just was looking for tips on getting remotivated
  • Alright.

In my experience, motivation is sort of unreliable. I mean, it comes and it goes. Sometimes I am motivated to sit on my butt and watch TV, you know? You don't have to wait for motivation to appear. Just make your next decision a good one. And then make the decision after that a good one. And commit to doing that for as long as you can.

You have to decide that you're GOING to put in the effort, and then do it. Mark your workouts on your calendar for the next week. Go to the store, get your groceries, and line up your meals for the next week, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. And line up some small reward for doing all of those things (I prefer rewards that encourage you to keep going - like new iTunes songs or a new workout outfit or some cool spices to cook healthy meals with). Decide that you're doing it, and then set yourself up as much as possible to succeed.
  • What can I say? Women like to talk about chocolate.

I couldn't agree with more with Madalinn, and sometimes I need to hear that again myself.

I suggest planning your workouts for a time when you really can't skip them. For me, that's in the morning before work my energy is highest. For some it means driving to the gym after work where your car just goes on autopilot and before you know it, you're at the gym, so you might as well go in. But then also plan breaks.

There are some things I find motivational though. Thinking about something that weighs as much as I've lost and imagining carrying that around; looking at old pictures of myself; trying on clothes that didn't previously fit; remembering things that easier to do know; picturing myself at an upcoming event. (Sing now ---->)These are a few of my favorite things.

What motivates you?
  • absolutely - if we sat around and waited for the motivation to land in our laps in order to get something going, well chances are we'd very infrequently (if at all) get going.

Sometimes you just got to pick yourself up, make the mature, reasonable, rational decision - and do what you gotta do - regardless of whether you feel like it or not.

Make a vow, a promise, a commitment, a something, to yourself to stay on plan perfectly for one day. One day. No matter what. Stick to it like glue. Take it an hour at time, heck, take it 5 minutes at a time. Than repeat the process. Than repeat again. And before you know it you will be back in the groove, firmly on plan and wondering why you ever left in the first place.
  • Sorry, I was in on that bunny trail about chocolate But you'd be surprised to know how many people learn something helpful from your threads ... even when they get shanghai'd.

An old old man once told me ... "Do what's right but if you don't know what's right ... do your best."