How often do you drink?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm a university student so the frequency of pub nights and clubbing for my crowd is pretty high. I'm wondering how often do you drink? I usually drink 2x a month but after two days back to back (and I'm talking like 3 vodka-crans or 3 vodka-ojs so not some huge amount) I find I'm feeling so funky. I'm not sure its cause of the drinking, the staying up late, or both! I just finished midterms and I felt like partying (normal for a 22 year old) a bit but wow. The next two days after that weren't so great diet-wise and I feel so ****ty compared to where I was before!
  • I used to not drink much, lately its a few times a week due to the blizzard conditions and not being able to go anywhere.

On a normal week, I probably have wine a few nights a week. As long as I'm eating good foods and I drink plenty of water, it doesn't really affect me.
  • I used to drink almost every weekend like that--it really doesn't help and I used to feel pretty crappy for a few days after. Plus, I gained like 30lbs drinking that way. Alcohol calories add up quickly.
  • I lost 50 pounds my last semester of college...and that was with getting wasted at least once a weekend... and I did happy hours here and there and sometimes the drinking was more than just once a weekend...but I definitely drank a lot at least once a weekend
  • i usually drink twice a month at the most..and by that i mean one night out. I do have one drink at dinner once in a while though, but I add that in to my calorie counter so it doesn't effect my diet. I hate how crappy I feel the day after, and I do work usually in the mornings so that's also a huge turn off for me. I've also been getting heartburn lately, so I haven't had the ability to enjoy a glass of wine at dinner sometimes...or the mike-a-ritas i have in the fridge.
  • I am not a big drinker. I have a drink maybe once a week and go out drinking once or twice a month. I never have more than a couple drinks at a time because, even though I am larger than most my friends, I have a lower alcohol tolerance since I don't drink often.
  • i used to drink more often.. like, a few times a month.. but being in college and having to work it makes it difficult to get together with people and all of us be able to go out partying.. plus so much homework & studying!
    but yeah.. last time i had a good time was.. probably like 2 months ago?! i really couldn't care less about drinking anyway.. now a days im thinking of how fattening things can be so i tried to avoid those things!
  • Oh man, after I turned 21 (so my last year and a half in college), I drank at least 4 times a week and then there were tailgates for football and basketball games. It was detrimental to the weight after awhile because I stopped working out, plus alcohol is really harmful for your liver. However, when I was anal about it, I'd take a permanent marker around and mark how many drinks I got. I would get diet Long Islands (diet coke instead of reg) and I'd just guess that there were 140-150 calories in each, then multiply that by the number of hash marks on my hand and that's the answer.

But then I felt guilty and stopped that. Currently, I'm on a sobriety pledge until April but I know when I get back to law school, it'll be another drinking fest that I'll have to learn how to control.
  • This is my biggest problem. My friend's go out every Friday & Saturday night, plus work happy hours. I'm trying to go out with friends and not drink, but it's difficult, because someone will buy me a drink if I don't have one.

What do you guys do on friday/saturday nights if you're not going out to bars or parties? I need ideas!
  • My fiance and I share a bottle of wine on friday nights...

Which usually means two glasses for the both of us but we plan it with a nice meal...like salmon and green beans or a small steak and half a sweet potato
  • Not at all. I am a university student and used to be able to drink quite a lot, but then I sort of just got over the whole "getting wasted" scene. My boyfriend doesnt drink at all, so I've just sort of stopped too, plus i find its really not worth the calories, I'd rather have a really good sandwich than drink myself into oblivion.
  • I used to drink like that 2 nights a week with a bigger drinking night at least once as well. My friends, even though they are all in the 30's for the most part are huge drinkers! I haven't had a drink since new years and feel great! My bf quit drinking 2 weeks ago so that's making not drinking easier. I do miss nights at the pub, watching the hockey game though. Watching the hockey game while drinking sparkling water or tea, just doesn't seem the same!
  • *sigh* Oh, college daze...I barely recall...

I used to go to a friend's house nearly everyday and we would put away a couple bottles of wine. When she moved away, I quit drinking, and promptly lost 7 lbs.

I've read conflicting reports on drinking/drinkers. I've read that it takes 48 hours to get alcohol out of your system before you can resume with fat burning. I've also heard that people who are regular drinkers seem to eat less and exercise more than non-drinkers if they're "worried about their figure".

There is a point of diminishing returns with the drinking/partying/not-getting-enough-sleep. Hangovers are tougher as you get older. I don't drink more than once every other month these days, but I'm a wizend old broad pushing 50 and I enjoy the use of my brain as it is.
  • Quote: This is my biggest problem. My friend's go out every Friday & Saturday night, plus work happy hours. I'm trying to go out with friends and not drink, but it's difficult, because someone will buy me a drink if I don't have one.

What do you guys do on friday/saturday nights if you're not going out to bars or parties? I need ideas!
    Do go out and tell your friends that you're just not drinking for awhile. If they're your friends, they'll understand. Plus, I always use "driving" as an excuse. And, if you DO get a drink, order a diet coke at the bar, and drink away and when they ask, say it's a rum and coke. Nobody will know.
  • Volunteer to be designated driver! Some places will give you free soda if you do that. I'm not a big drinker at all. Partly because I hate being drunk but mostly because I'm CHEAP. Getting drunk is expensive, even on the cheap stuff. Trying to loose weight is just an excuse. I kind of hate bars, too. Noisy and smelly with creepers hitting on you and your friends. Ick.

Hmmm... I think I'm an old lady at heart! lol. Luckily my friends aren't big drinkers, either.