Weigh-in Day.....At last !

• I have a problem with scale obsession, so I don't own a scale anymore. Still, I have decided that I will join the 2010 Weight Loss Challenge, and this means that I will be heading to friend's today to weigh in. I am excited, and look forward to the validation, but I am still worried that I will be disappointed.
    I know I should probably bite the bullet and buy a scale soon, but I need some guidance on handling it. Any ideas ?
  • Gosh - you will get as many different answers as there are people on this subject. This is such a personal choice that people make based on their experiences.

For me - I weigh once a week. I can become way too focused on what the scale says. There was a time when I would weigh everyday - but - I becam e obsessed with that number rather than the process of living with food.Once a week works for me.

When/if you weigh just remember that the number is just for that day - it doesn't take into account TOM, water weight and many other things.
  • I got on the scale this morning hoping for a loss, but I was disappointed. After three and a half years of near-daily weighing, however, I could *feel* that I hadn't had a big whoosh, if that makes any sense. Some days you can just feel it.

For me, daily weighing keeps me on track. If I don't have that accountability to myself, I start to slack, and then I can derail myself pretty quickly. For others, it becomes an unhealthy distraction. So it really is a personal choice, like Beverly said.

I wish you luck with your weigh-in! Try to remember that you're doing more for yourself than just losing weight, whatever the number on the scale.
  • I had the same decision to make...AND I finally decided to buy a scale yesterday. I have became so obsessed with it in the past that I decided to get my plan started for a month before I owned a scale (I go to Weight Watchers weekly for my "official" weigh in). We'll see how it goes. Throughout the past month though, I have found myself wishing I had a scale throughout the week to kind of "check in" on my salt intake. I'll kind of have a feeling that I've had too much salt, but can't see if I am storing any water throughout the week. I bought the scale for a few dollars at a second-hand store...so if it becomes a problem, I won't feel too bad donating it back
  • Well, I just got back from my friend's ...guess I'm off to a rocky start...I am only down 3 lbs this month...guess I need to drink the water and cut more calories if I want to reach my goal of 140 by December....on the other hand, I have been on track.... 1550 calories per day... and some of my skinier clothes fit now...Could some of this be water weight ?
  • It COULD be water weight... this is the reason I weigh every day! You COULD have been like 204 yesterday, had stuff high in sodium and then BAM up three pounds... it's hard to say!
  • Thanks, CF...I am thinking that what I should do is weigh daily but average it weekly...Does that sound sensible ?