Roasted root vegetables

• I've always hated or at least disliked most root vegetables, but as I'm on a mission to learn how to cook cheap and healthy meals I bought a pack containing rutabaga/swede (my most hated veg ever), carrot and parsnip. So I decided to cut them into wedges and roast them with garlic, sea salt and olive oil. And.... WOW! Filling, nutritious, fairly low calorie, tasty and cheap! I highly recommend!
  • Sounds yummy!
  • It has been my experience that you can roast shoe leather with olive oil, sea salt and have it be WOW!!!!

(smiling)

Aren't roasted veggies great? Good for you!
  • Wavesmom, after this experience I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the shoeleather!

So strange to find out you can enjoy something you thought you hated just by changing the cooking method. Next experiment will be brussels sprouts and fennel
  • That' one of my fav dishes! To kick it up a notch, I sometimes roast a head of garlic earlier in the day or week. Take a couple of cloves of roasted garlic mash it into a paste with a couple of drops of lemon juice and then when the veggies are done toss them with the roasted garlic paste.

It is 100x times better than just olive oil and sea salt. Even my veggie hating cousin love them! Every family dinner (Thx giving, Xmas etc) I am required to bring the veggies.
  • I'm a big fan of roasted vegetables.

Another thing you can do with rutabagas is to peel them and grate them (coarsest grater). Mix them raw with grated carrots and add a little healthy mayonaisse. It's like a carrot salad only instead of sweet, it's tangy/spicy.