Hypothyroid and weight loss

• Hey there,

I am hypothyroid and finally on the right meds and feeling great. But I still feel like its harder to lose weight than it should be. Anyone else hypothyroid (on medication) and still find it difficult to lose weight?

-Constance
  • Oh heck yes!
  • Same here! But I have only been on meds for 3 months. I need to get blood work done again next week to see if it needs increased. The Dr. started me out with a low dose. A friend told me it took 9 months before she saw any real difference on the meds.
  • Maybe it will get better!! I have only been on the right medication for 3 months.
    My husband and I are eating the same thing and he isn't exercising like me. But yet he has lost double the weight I have.... It can get discouraging..
  • I gained all my weight due to undiagnosed, untreated hypothyroid. I was skinny to normal until my 40's. I reached 196 before I finally got treatment. Then, went lo carb and lost the first 30 lbs relatively easily in the first year. Then, it stopped and I have yet to figure out how to push past the 155 point. I have been trying to break 150 for over a decade now. It's so frustrating.
  • I find that it's always easier for men to lose weight so don't be discouraged that your husband is losing at a faster rate than you.

But yes, I too am hypothyroid and find it very difficult to lose weight. Even when I eat well and exercise I don't see the results that others non-hypothyroid would see. Frustrating....yes.

Just don't give up.
  • I am new to this forum...but searched hypothyroid and found your comment. I went from not having a weight problem (weighing 130's), to within a year when I was 20 years old weighing 220's. I didn't know what was wrong, I was always active and eating healthy. Through strict diet and ALOT of excerise I got to 190's. But it wasnt till I was 25 I got my thyroid checked and found out I was hypo. It actually took me two years to get to the right dose. It has just been very frusterating, I eat very well, and jog 2-3 miles non-stop 5 times a week, and lift weights. I see lean women at the gym not having to jog as long as I have to, and it becomes frusterating. I am finally down to 170, but I have been stuck for a month now. I just want to say, that I can relate to you, that it is very hard for a person to lose weight, and I feel it is harder when you have thyroid problems. I am glad I found this forum, it has made me less depressed to hear other people are going through this too.
  • I've been hypo since I was 21 and I'm now 68. I've lost nearly 200 pounds but I am very strict about what I eat. I limit raw broccoli, cabbage and things in that family because it impacts your thyroid adversely. I eat no processed foods except an occasional slice of bread. I only eat 3 servings of grains or other starches a day and eat a lot of protein, veggies, fruit and dairy. If your meds are at the right level and you exercise an hour a day, you should be able to lose weight like anyone else. If you are still having difficulty, get your levels checked.

I also do WW Simply Filling option.
  • Now that I am on the right medicine and dose, things seem to be looking better. Thanks for all the encouraging words! Never thought I would have to deal with this at 25 years old!
  • I am hypothyroid. I was diagnosed when I was 25, this year I will be 42. Even though I am on the correct dosage of meds, it's still difficult. I watch what I eat and exercise daily. I still feel tired. I think more than most people. But for me it goes with the territory. I went from 180 to 356 before I was diagnosed. I was tested 3 years in a row before I was diagnosed.
  • I was just saying in another thread that it took almost 2 years to feel better on the meds and adjust to the right dosage.

Good Luck! It really does take time but in the long run feels so much better!