Talk me into taking "Before" Pictures

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, I've been hiding from the camera for years. I have so few pictures of myself with my kids since my last pregnancy, and it really makes me sad (for them, especially). I'm down almost 30 lbs from my highest weight, and I don't think it's noticeable at all. I'm wishing I had pictures to look back on to compare, so I KNOW I should take some now, so 30 lbs from now I'm not thinking I'm just as fat as I am now. So why can't I bring myself to get out the camera?
  • Get out the camera!!! It's hard now but it will be worth it later (as you can already tell from your first 30 pounds).
  • TAKE THEM! Take front, side and back shots. You will be very glad you did.

I am one that avoided the camera, hating pictures of myself (still do). I took some at the beginning of my weight loss journey. When I took shots of 50 lbs lost, I was amazed at the difference. I didn't feel or *think* I looked that different until taking the next set of pics. It happens so gradually that I think I just became accustomed to the way I looked as things went. When I pulled out the before pics and compared them, it was such a big motivator and "pick me up" experience. Now, when things get hard (like now) and it seems like it takes the scale forever to move, I can pull these out to see how far I have come.

Also, I really hated my before pictures after I took them, but it was a great motivation for me to get off my booty and fix it!

Just TAKE THEM. You don't even have to look at them right now if you don't want to.
  • And remember, your family loves you the way you are and someday will wish there were more pictures of you, at any size. My mom avoided photos and would even cut herself out of ones that were taken. What I wouldn't give for a few more photos of her.
  • I love looking at my befores!!! I wouldn't have believed I was that large if I didn't have them. GO TAKE THEM NOW BEFORE YOU LOSE ANOTHER OUNCE!!!!!
  • I had my husband take them of me this morning after I did weigh and measure. I picked out a pair of shorts and a tank top so that each time, I wear the same outfit. I figure I don't have to look at the photos right now. It's digital so no one else has to see them either! I am going to have him take the photos every 30 days.
  • Alright, you've convinced me. I'll have my husband take them tonight
  • So, I was just looking though my photos and found a couple of me from over the summer. I think I'm probably just about my highest weight in them and guess what? I can totally see a difference! Now I can't weight for dh to come home and take a few pics.
  • See???!!! Before pictures totally rock!!
  • Y'know, you have a good idea here.

I think I'm going to take some before pictures tomorrow, so I can have something to look back on.
  • I'm so glad you took them! I didn't and so regret it. You will love having before and afters when you reach goal.

Congrats on your weight loss; you're doing just great!
  • I had dh take some last night. I'd post them, but I don't have enough posts yet
  • I wish I had taken before pictures. If I had been part of this community at the time, I definitely would have, but I wasn't in any weight loss community and the idea didn't occur to me. I'm 40lbs down from my starting weight, and I wish I had something to compare it to. I know I'm smaller, but I'd love to see the difference between two pictures. All I have are my memories.
  • I'm glad you took the pics, you won't regret it!
  • That's great that you're taking them! I just took some today. (: I have one picture of before I lost a lot of weight, but it's not of different angles or anything, and I want my *after* to be showing the same angles. It's really exciting and motivating to remember that you have a picture that you can compare your progress to. Right now, I just look at my marathon photo and wonder how I've gained weight. ?_? Lol such is life!