Exercise and Water Weight...?

• Hey all-

I'm just wondering how long it took you guys to start losing again after you started exercising more?

I decided to up my game this year and start getting more exercise so I can pick up the pace with my losses. BUT... now my scale has gone up 2 lbs in the last couple says of getting exercise. I know, I know... I am sore and I'm sure I'm retaining water... But it still sucks to see the scale moving the wrong way when you know you are being so healthy.

So how long did your stall last? Days? Weeks? A month? I want to mentally prepare myself. LOL.
  • As long as you are sore, the water retention is continuing. Don't get discouraged you are SO doing the right thing by getting moving! Your metabolism is increasing, you are building muscle which will help you maintain any loss you have and you will feel better mentally. That is something to get excited about.
  • I upped my exercise a lot about 2 weeks ago-- adding lifting and more running. Since then, I've only lost one pound, but two good things have happened:

1. My weight has been bouncing less....
    2. I lost more than an inch from my waist!!! This is a big one for me, because I had a 40" waist even after a 70lb loss.

If you are anything like me, you will start to notice significant changes within two weeks even if the scale doesn't move down as quickly.
  • I'd be happy with an inch of my waist too.

You guys are right... I just need to chill. Even if the scale isn't moving I am still making changes. Sometimes, even though you know that, it can be hard not to focus on the numbers.

Thanks!
  • I started adding in yoga to my exercise routine two weeks ago and have only lost a pound in those two weeks. It's definitely frustrating, but I took the time to measure myself on Tuesday and am down an inch in my waist and my hips.

I'm sure that you will have similar results and eventually the scale will catch up with us!
  • if it makes you feel any better i ran a marathon this weekend and im STILL up 8 POUNDS from my pre-marathon weight! EIGHT FRIGGIN pounds of water retention. Thats enough to put me back into my "fat" jeans... UGGGggghhhhhh.....
  • I bet your scale will be moving again in 1 to 2 weeks. I was up 3 or 4 pounds when I started going to the gym that first week, then, it started coming down the second week.
  • I'm with ya. Just started adding in the exercise last week and I'm up a pound, but into a new pant size. I'll take it.

I need to chill out too. There's just some stupid need to have that scale agree.
  • Thanks guys! I really appreciateall the support and great responses!! I will just try my best to be patient and focus on how I am feeling instead of the scale! Much love and many thanks!
  • Quote: Thanks guys! I really appreciateall the support and great responses!! I will just try my best to be patient and focus on how I am feeling instead of the scale! Much love and many thanks!
    It's awful isn't it? But there's something encouraging about knowing it's normal. I've heard the "muscle weighs more than fat" thing a million times and I guess I need to hear it a million more. I wish I could peel back the layer of fat and SEE the muscle for myself.
  • I have been exercising regularly for 3 weeks. (Before that it was sporadic) and I have lost 0 pounds.
    Stick with it with me, and we can get through to the other side of water retention!
  • Quote: I wish I could peel back the layer of fat and SEE the muscle for myself.
    Ha! You and me both!
  • Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone... I weighed in this morning and I'm even higher than yesterday *sigh* but on the upside I decided to take some measurements. I figure even if I am gaining I can track if I am losing inches. So, here's hoping... thanks again.
  • Quote: Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone... I weighed in this morning and I'm even higher than yesterday *sigh* but on the upside I decided to take some measurements. I figure even if I am gaining I can track if I am losing inches. So, here's hoping... thanks again.
    I was up 1.8 pounds yesterday. I've lost the .8 today, so I'm going in the right direction. I too decided to take measurements! We're dead even on this.

We'll get there.