Is this is a side effect of depression? Or something else

• Lately, i've been so tired.........i sleep all day long.
    And for me, that's VERY strange.

I've always been overweight. And my life has never been easy......so i've been depressed for going on a decade. And i've ALWAYS been an insomniac....who hates sleep, and always gets up at the crack of dawn! And could run off of 3 hours of sleep.........but for the last week or so, even if i get a full nights rest of 6+ hours, i feel sooooooooooo weak/tired, and i end up sleep ALL DAY, until like 8pm! Which is crazyyyyyyy!
    ESPECIALLY for me.

I might be a home-body, but that's because of my insecurities over my weight. I'm surely not a lazy bum, who ENJOYS doing nothing but laying around all day.....never have been. So i don't understand why all of a sudden i just have literally NO energy.

*~ Madame V. ~*

thx. for any help.......
  • Hi OoOo

The only thing I can really say is to be properly diagnosed you'll need to speak to a professional. If something is telling you that there is a problem, please call your doctor... don't wait, you are worth it !!

Leenie
  • Excessive fatigue can be caused by a lot of things. Especially if it came on suddenly and is contrary to your usual pattern. I agree with Leenie. You're in need of a thorough checkup and should see a doctor soon.

Best wishes, and welcome to 3FC.
  • I agree. You need to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. One thing I have found is that the quality of your sleep is very important. You can sleep all day but if you aren't getting GOOD sleep, it's worthless. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and I do a lot better if I use the stupid CPAP machine, but I hate the mask so I usually end up pulling it off in the middle of the night.
    A few months ago I was diagnosed as bipolar and one of the meds my doc prescribed was Seroquel, which I take at night. When I take it I need to get at least 7 hours sleep, preferably 8, but I feel really good in the morning. Talk to your doc. Maybe a sleep study is in order. Best of luck.
  • Lack of sleep just stinks !! I find that when I'm really tired, I tend to eat more to get energy .. well, I don't get the energy I am seeking I only wind up gaining weight. Its hard to separate exhaustion and hunger when your at that point.

• A full nights sleep is 7-8 hours. They have actually linked too little sleep to weight gain. You really need to check in with a doctor. It could be worsening depression, thyroid problems, heart problems, and the list goes on and on.
  • It's true to talk to someone to be diagnosed. I can only speak from my experience, which is yes, depression can make you lethargic. Try to think about what things you enjoy the most, and do them, even if it's hard to convince yourself it's worth it. Put in extra effort to treat yourself, even if you would rather sleep. You're worth having fun with--even with yourself!

I'm from Raleigh, too! <3
  • Oh, you poor thing, I could have written that post just two weeks ago. It seems like that's how I was my entire life. And sometimes I did have something really wrong, like when my thyroid decided to get sluggish on me.

I tried this antidepressant and that one. Went to counselors and psychologists and psychiatrists. Boy did I try to feel okay inside. Tried to exercise to make myself have some energy. Took caffeine to try to get more energy. Had a terrible problem with insomnia and waking in the night and not going back to sleep. Tried drugs that doctors gave me for that, which usually made me feel sluggish in the morning. Life was just so hard!

I hope that you find your miracle that restores you to perfect health. I don't know what that miracle will be, for you, but I pray it comes soon.

It turns out I'm either hypoglycemic or gluten-intolerant, or both, because I've been low-carbing (no gluten, no sugar) for a little over 2 weeks and this is the first time in my life I've felt good. No more insomnia, no more tiredness, no more depression and bad mood. So there WAS really something physically wrong with me - I always suspected there was something wrong - but it was my diet that was doing bad things to me! So now I have to really be careful the rest of my life not to eat things that make me have those problems again. I don't know if it's the sugar or if it's the gluten that was getting me, but something was getting me big time. Took a few days to clear out of my system and then there was this feeling like a cloud lifting up and the sun shining. I hope your miracle comes and you feel wonderful again!