Insomnia induced hunger rant

• Restoril helped with my increasing insomnia since i plateaued with losing weight..Now that I am immune to it I probably slept 4 hours last night, each one interrupted by me waking up. i hate this cycle...it's freaking vicious. instead of worrying about hunger at night which i used to I now worry about not sleeping and screwing up everything including my diet. so today i am a zombie, and have already had 1350 calories today and am "hungry"....but not really...it's the lack of sleep...it has to be. i did cardio for 35 minutes and then decided to take it easy because i really did a lot yesterday. i workout so much and so hard but i screw it up when i get ravenous later in the day. it just sucks....the anxiety that i have developed interferes with my life so that i feel like i can never catch my breath and have to yawn a lot...breathe really deep, etc. i really try and promote a healthy lifestyle but sometimes i have bad days like today where i really feel helpless and like a failure...but i know it's just today and tomorrow i will be ok because i will more than likely fall asleep due to exhaustion after i work tonight. I am not asking for advice though if anyone has been through this that would be nice to hear...I do everything from yoga to tea to relaxation methods. there needs to be a magic pill that is not addicting that works to help burn fat, ease stress, and make everyone happy ah well it's only temporary...just have to stay on plan for today and tomorrow is a fresh start. thanks for reading!
  • Yes I too struggle desperately with insomnia. I can't get to sleep, then when I finally do I pop back up again after 1-3 hours. Totally sux being tired all the time. Weirdly enough, I can sleep perfectly at my boyfriend's home, but in my own bed in my house, can't get the hang of it.
  • I am the same way at home but not when out of town. I have your exact routine. I would love to hear what people have to say!
  • man it is SO good to know i am not alone!! i'm not taking anything tonight for the first time in a week so..wish me luck.
  • I used to struggle with insomnia, too. My insomnia was a result of my mind not wanting to shut off. And then I would worry about not falling asleep fast enough, that I might be tired tomorrow, that I'd wake up again after falling asleep, etc. Finally one night I decided to just accept it. I know it sounds stupid, but I literally said to myself, okay--whatever, I'll fall asleep when I fall asleep. I stopped worrying about it or trying to fight it. It just is what it is. Since my mind doesn't want to shut off at night, I push any sleep-related thoughts out of my mind and instead daydream; meaning I visualize things that are pleasant to me--strolling through our neighborhood park, reliving vacations i've been on, thinking about wedding stuff, watching the ocean roll in... Before I know it, my alarm is ringing.

Also, some things that have helped me: make sure your room is as dark as possible. A dip in body temp helps lull you, so try taking a bath before bed so that u get a bit of a chill before getting into bed, or sleep with a lighter blanket. Lavender is calming, try a room spray. Only get into bed when you're tired enough to go to sleep, so your body can begin to associate ur bed with sleep and nothing else. don't read or watch tv in bed if possible.

You're definitely not alone!
  • I struggle with anxiety too, and occasionally have problems sleeping. In fact, I'm supposed to be taking medication for it but don't always remember. I've had luck with what a couple of other people have mentioned, and that's changing the location of where I sleep. Most nights, I sleep fine in my own bed but when I have trouble, I move to the sofa. I'm not sure why, but that usually allows me to fall asleep much quicker. I also have trouble sleeping if I'm cold, so I make sure my feet are warm.

But mostly, it's my mind that won't shut off. When that happens, I ignore the conventional wisdom and I turn on the TV. If it's something mindless (hello, QVC!), so much the better. Sometimes, like today, I get all out-of whack. Last night I had trouble sleeping, and then this morning I overslept by an hour. Yikes.

So no, you're not alone. I hate it when that cycle starts.......I can't sleep, but I'm tired, then I start to worry about work, then worry about being too tired for work tomorrow because I can't sleep, and if I fall asleep now I'll still get in six hours, but I can't fall asleep.......arrrrggghhh!
  • ahha yes these processes that you both mentioned are exactly what i go through. my mind races now at night which i think i am a lot more aware of now that i know i have issues with sleeping...and it only fuels it! i am learning to accept it. i actually deem last night successful just because i didn't take anything and though i wokeup several times, i allowed myself to sleep in and catch up a little. it may take me awhile, similiar to weight loss but at least i am learning how to cope with it. these little obstacles make us stronger! i know it. thank you so much and keep in touch..i would love to know how everyone is doing with this as well as their weight loss progress.
  • So I have been fighting this. i used to work third shift and so I am used to sleeping like 3 hours in the morning then 2 hours for nap. I sleep much better at the nap time than at night time. I can lay down at 2 in the morning and my mind wont shut off. I found out I can take melltonin to reset my body clock. Also a friend told me about a dr on tv said it you miss the time where your feeling sleepy because your doing stuff your body will kick into a different mode and your mind will switch too...it adjust to thinking its not sleep time...so that dr said when you start feeling sleepy LAY DOWN..well I did that the other night and the first time in MONTHS I fell asleep at 11 instead of 3 and was up at 7 like normal and i didnt feel tired the next day...but for me its hard to catch that sleep window...i started to last night then my husband and kids kept me up and of course I was up then till my 3am bedtime...I dont know if this helps or not because I know baths dont really help...somtimes a movie that I am sick of helps cause I dont have to see the end of it I dose off during it....I know you werent asking for advice but I am currently dealing with this issue so I thought Id throw in what i learned the last few weeks!!
  • hey thanks no i appreciate the advice!!! i tried melatonin a few months ago and it didn't work but maybe i'll give it another try. i've tried gaba, st. john's wort, restoril, klonopin, melatonin, etc. but i really believe it is just getting that routine back and to chill the heck out! hehehe that is why I hate slow yoga but i love vinyasa..if im not moving constantly i suffer mentally. very type A. weight loss has definitely brought that out more in me.