tomato soup

• I love love love tomato soup but the canned stuff is SOOO high in sodium. Does anyone have any recipes that are easy to make or any alternatives.
  • I also am a BIG fan of tomato soup. Here is a link to one of my fav cooking sites. All the recipes are super easy, hope you can find one you like.

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes...=tomato%20soup
  • My husband makes an awesome tomato soup, but it is absolutely nothing liked canned tomato soups. It's a broth soup, not creamy. He starts with broth (he uses beef or chicken, and does usually use canned, though occasionally he'll make the broth too).

He adds tomatoes (fresh in the summer, diced - using the flesh of the tomato, but not the seeds. He does not remove the skins, unless he's going to puree it to be fancy. In the winter, canned diced tomatoes).

He doesn't use a precise recipe (I never do for soup, either) so beyond the broth and tomatoes it can be a bit hard to describe the rest of the ingredients, except by saying "season to taste." And he will season it a variety of ways. I've tried to make it, and it turns out good, but very different than his (because we prefer different seasonings).

He usually uses garlic, basil, salt, pepper (but it's all dash and shake). In the summer he uses fresh thai basil from the Farmer's market and adds about a half cup of fresh leaves (chopped or whole. The thai basil is very tender and it's almost like a veggie in the soup).

The good news is that soups are very forgiving, if you season with a light hand (because you can always add more, but you can't take out), and taste as you go (yes, dangerous if you're using high calorie ingredients, but with broth based soups not so bad).