Carbs Crazy, Please Help!

• So for the last 2 days I have been craving carbs. And I haven't known what else to do but give in. I can't even get myself distracted. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that can help me? I'm getting desperate, I don't want to derail my success so far.
  • Carbs are what your body uses for energy. If you're on a low-carb diet, the other thing is that you may not be drinking enough water.

My philosophy is, if my body is hardcore craving something, I must need it (aside from cookies, then I just need a hug).

When I crave carbs, I make myself a nice turkey sandwich on multigrain bread with tomatoes, avocados and hummus. Or you could make yourself some whole wheat pasta and throw some grilled chicken breast and veggies in there.
  • that's a good idea. Thanks.
    Also In case I get any other tips, I am not low carb and I drink tons of water a day. I don't think I could ever do low carb lol
  • I could never do low carb, either.

My ex-boyfriend was on Atkins for a time, and he used to tell me that the key to "not being tired" was to drink lots and lots of water. I have no idea how accurate that was, so I don't mean to offend anyone who's on Atkins. Just what he told me.
  • While water is definitely important, it does not fuel your body. Carbs definitely do, so if you are craving carbs, you might as well eat some, just not too many. And make sure they are healthy carbs. Eat an apple or carrots or whole grains.

I'm on south beach, which starts out with 2 weeks of "low carb" to kind of ween you off of all the bad carbs and sugars that i had stuffed my face with. Let me tell, i was a hardcore carb addict, i swear. It is really hard, but i don't feel tired. The majority of your energy comes from protein. And the best part is: you stop craving the carbs. I recommend it, if you can handle it!! After the first couple of days, it gets pretty easy. Then after the two weeks is up, you gradually reintroduce healthy carbs back like whole grains and fruits. But the cravings don't come back! That part is great, and totally worth it.
  • From the perspective of someone that's done hardcore low-carb (Atkins) and is doing lower-carb (Medifast) currently - both with really great success. The best thing about restricting my carbs is that it made me realize that I only crave carb-heavy food when I'm running completely on carbs. I don't know if it makes sense.

Once I get through the initial phase of not having carbs for a few days - the cravings disappear for me. This coming from someone who would eat a whole loaf (or more) of Outback bread by herself, my favorite thing at Soupplantation is their sourdough bread, I'd like the spaghetti and meatballs - hold the meatballs, etc.

I'm not by any means saying that it's for everyone, but it's the only thing that's worked for me to get my carb cravings under control.
  • I can do low carb as long as I don't call it that And, honestly, it works. I usually crave carbs when I am dehydrated and haven't eaten enough protein.

Like... right now... Grrrr
  • Has anyone just craved bread? A slice of bread? I craved that not to long ago and it didn't matter how much bread I ate I wanted more. lol
  • OMG you haven't seen me and a bag of Hawaiian rolls. I had a Costco sized bag leftover after Thanksgiving, and I got really close to finishing the whole thing by myself in one afternoon.

They're like air I tell you!!
  • a slice of bread? just a slice?? lol.... yes absolutely. And outback bread! sooo good, right? keep that AWAY from me, hehe. I don't want to eat it, because if I have even a taste, I'll want to eat more and more...

I think there are studies that back up the idea that eating carbs causes you to crave more carbs. That was certainly the case for me. carb addiction... yes real addiction, like alcoholism, but with carbohydrates. scary huh? I want to read more about it.