High Volume/Low Cal Healthy food Ideas

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am the type of girl that likes to EAT. I want ideas of filling foods that are good for me and tasty but still healthy.

I love big salads with ridiculously low calories. More ideas like that, please! Your help is appreciated.
  • You might want to go check out the Weight Watchers forum.There is a thread called filling foods I think.
  • Fiber muffins like the ones from zen bakery or trader joes are really filling. I have one every morning. Egg whites from a carton can make you a filling omelet, but they cut the calories in half and taste the same to me ! Oh and my biggest favorite is clear broth soups. I always make these with miso or other asian recipes because they are so huge and filling.. but maybe around a couple hundred calories depending on ingredient.
  • It might depend on the person. I'm not sure. I find to be really filling:

1 egg
    1 apple
    1 serving of steal cut oats
    Tons of broccoli with a serving of protein
    Tea also fills me up and it's 0 calories...I think.
  • 200 cals of various foods.
  • Me too!

I love big eating. I stir fry just about every veggie... with a little soy sauce or curry seasoning. I even stir fry veggies and put them over a bed of lettuce.

Also, soups - split pea or veggie are great.

And add beans to things - very filling, low in calorie and high in protein.

But I must admit, I sometimes have a problem with eating too much veggies! It doesn't result in weight gain, but it does result in a very bloated belly!
  • Apples are very filling to me... I usually have a hard time eating an entire apple.

Also asparagus... I eat a TON of asparagus and it is really low cal for the nice big bunch you can eat.
  • I agree about broth based soups. Very filling and delicious.

Here's one of my favorites-- totally simple and quick. Few ingredients. Very filling.

1 quart vegetable broth
    1 bunch scallions
    1 box sliced brown mushrooms
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 box extra firm tofu chunks
    1 lb frozen shrimp or scallops.

Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in PAM.
    Add broth and bring to low boil
    Toss in tofu and shrimp, cook until heated through.

Add a dash of soy sauce or a TBS of fresh miso if desired.
  • Most of my big filling foods start with a wok heated with a bit of olive oil, garlic, shallots and sweet onions then I add as many different "colors" of veggies as I can and fill the pan. It feeds all 4 of us pretty well. Add a lean protein and you have a filling, low calorie meal.

I like strawberries a lot and find they fill me up before I have eaten more than 120 calories.

I love watermelon when it's in season.

Make an egg white omelet - a recipe I saw in Tosca Reno's book said to place diced green and red peppers, diced onion, and 3 egg whites in a sprayed ziploc bag. Firmly close it and place in boiling water for just a few minutes. It will slide right out of the bag in perfect omelet form.
    I have found that when I season foods so they are spicy, I eat less also.

When my tummy is warm, I tend to eat less. I sometimes drink hot tea with dinner - or any other time of day when I am feeling hungry.

Oatmeal with blueberries and ground flaxseed is a great filling food! I have been known to eat it for dinner on grab night.

And of course, use the hunger scale - As we all know, if hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer.
  • I sautee onion, zucchini, tomato and bell pepper and garlic in pam or a little bit of broth, and add red pepper flakes, basil and cilantro then serve in a whole wheat tortilla and it fills me up so full that I wonder if I'm cheating. Gawd that sounds good right now. I think I'm making it for dinner tonight.
  • Green peppers. My goodness, when I cut a whole one up it just seems like SO MUCH food ... but so few cals.
  • Roasted portabella mushrooms bulk up lots of salads and meals and have only 30 cal per large mushroom cap.
  • I basically take anything I make and add a ton of vegetables to it.

For example - spaghetti. Pasta, meat, sauce. Relatively small portion. Add 2 cups of sauteed peppers, onions, and zucchini strips, toss with the sauce, and wham - giant plate of stuff that all tastes like spaghetti goodness, with only a limited amount of extra calories from the veggies.

Another example - stir fry. Small amount of brown rice, small-ish amount of protein, giant pile of stir-fried veggie. Add a sauce to coat all of the meat/veggies and again - giant pile o' food.

Fajitas are easy - grill a ton of peppers, onions, zucchini, and if you're adventurous, nopales (cactus leaves). slice up and serve in low-cal tortillas or over a salad.

Soups lend well to a good veggi-fying. Just add whatever you have on hand and simmer until tender.
  • mmmmmmm i loooooooove veggies!

i stir fry and roast and steam em

also, every morning that i am off work i make my scrambled egg beaters (120 cals for a big plate of eggs) and fry up some slices of ham (100 cals worth) and toast an alternative bagel (110 cals) and have this huge breakfast. I mean, my plate is overflowing. for only 330 cals. throw in a pot of coffee and i am set!
  • Mandalinn - you cook like me! We had friends over and I had made spaghetti squash to put all that veggie goodness on (in homemade marinara oh man when is summer coming back!) and I had also made a "regular mac and cheese. Their littlest girl tried both and asked why the spaghetti tasted funny. I told her it was spaghetti squash I grew in my garden. She says, "I'm sure glad you didn't grow any macaroni squash!"

Another thing I eat a lot of is popcorn. When the snack attack hits it's something I can let myself eat mindlessly. 100 calorie pack X 2 is still pretty good for a binge.