• Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and get to know people who have or will be going through the same experience.

I have been fighting doctors for about a year now to let me have WLS done. They were not convinced that I needed it nor did they believe that I had problems beyond being overweight. Well is been a rough year but I NOW am on my way to a new me! I went to my seminar Dec 17 and got insurance approval Dec 21. I have alot of questions and still have no idea what surgery want performed. Any advise or insight would help out tremendously. I am looking for friends that I can chat with now and that will be by my side through the surgery and afterwards. I hope to meet alot of you and good luck to everyone and their journeys!

Jess
  • Hi Jess

Welcome. Congrats on your approval. What surgery did your insurance approve.

there are basically 4 options

Lapband
    Rny
    Vertical Sleeve
    Duodenal Switch.

I suggest you research all of them to determine which one best suits your lifestyle, needs and ability to comply with protein and supplement requirements.
  • I havent fully decided on which surgery I will be having but the insurance has approved all but the DS as far as I understand. I will be calling the insurance company today to find out for sure because then I can rule out the ones they dont cover and put my research effort into the others. I first wanted the Lapband but after many days of reading, i just dont think it fits me. So my next one that i am really considering is RNY. I choose this one because I have a MAJOR sweet tooth So I figured with the dumping syndrom I could push myself away from my down fall. But like I said I havent fully made a decision. My surgery will not be until early February so I still have some time. Thank you

Jess
  • I picked RNY because of the dumping potential (but only about 30% of all patients dump so you can't count on that forever either)... and the malabsorption.
  • Don't count on dumping - like Nessa already mentioned, only about 30% of RNYers actually dump long term.

I chose the DS for many reasons, most importantly for the 98+% type 2 diabetes cure rate (I was diagnosed with type 2 less than a year before I had my surgery - it was what prompted me to seek surgery at only 25 years old). There were many other reasons I would have chosen the DS even if I didn't have diabetes (if I'd decided to have surgery at all), but I'll let you find those through your research and decide for yourself.
  • I still dump almost 2 years out. It's just in a much milder way. I picked the RNY for that effect as well. I needed the good kick in the pants to stop the fat and sugar binges I was on. It WORKED!!! I don't even want small amounts of somethings anymore.

Good luck and as the other ladies said, research research research!

Angela
  • Welcome! If you have any questions, ask away! That's what we are here for.

I have dumped maybe a handful of times. I wish I was a dumper as sweets can be a challenge for me for sure!

Dawn