How far did you start out being able to run?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

• and how far can you run now?
  • I huffed and puffed after a few minutes of running when I started...lol
    Now I can run 5 Km or more if I want to. I have stopped running as much as I used to, I walk more now. Funny though I can go for a run and my body remembers how to do it.
    Are you a runner?
  • I started at about a half a lap around the track and worked my way up from there by alternating walking and jogging. I worked my way up to running about five and a half miles in an hour.
  • Start- maaaybe .1 miles, if I really pushed myself
    Now- about .35 miles (4 min) straight and that's saving energy for later (I run a bit over a mile total, and walk a little under a mile doing intervals for a total of 2.1 miles in 30 min)
    I can't wait 'til I can run a mile straight!!

Oh and I started at 4.7 mph, now I'm at 5.1! Going to push for 5 min at 5.2 next week.
  • A few weeks back I ran around my block and even though it wasn't easy I ran the whole way. I did it again the other day and then had my Hubby check the distance with his GPS and it was 1.2 miles. I was so proud.
    Soon I am going to run out of neighborhood.
  • I've dabbled in running in the past. Started and stopped c25k more times than I can count. Finally one day I ran outside and noticed that hey...I can run for longer than I run on the treadmill. Just very sloooooooooowly LOL

At my high point last April I did a 5K where I jogged about 75% of it.
    I stopped running for the most part after that, but have recently started back up again. I started out running the loop around the elementry school and that was .56 miles (I wasn't totally out of shape though, I've been working out for almost 2 months now). Today I ran around the loop twice only stopping for about .12 of the double loop. So I ran about a mile with a small break in between.

I'm sloooooooooooooooooow though. Like people are probably wondering what the heck I'm doing slow LOL
  • Starting out.... a minute before I felt like I might collapse and/or puke.

Now - 10 months later? Just ran a 10k.

I'm slow too.... the speed will come in time!
  • 22 seconds ... seriously!
  • I couldn't even run a quarter of a track...and I still have a hard time running on a treadmill or anything but I can do 5 miles in an hour on the elliptical.
  • I could only run a couple minutes in the beginning. I was so out of shape... actually, I had never actually be IN shape before. I never did sports or anything like that growing up, and I was always overweight.

I am not big on just running, so I haven't actually tested how far I can run... but last night, I decided to run for 15 minutes or so, and I was barely breaking a sweat. So, now it made me want to test it!

I think I am going to try the next time I am in the workout room, just to see how long. I am curious. I have wanted to run a 5k for a while... let's see if I could do it
  • Seriously, when I started running (age over 40 I might add), I could only jog(slowly!) nonstop for a minute or two. I just did run/walk intervals and worked up from there. Eventually, I could reduce or eliminate the walk breaks over longer and longer distances. And I got faster too.

Now? I run half marathons regularly. I did a 16 mile long run last Sunday. You just never know what you will be able to do until you try. But it takes consistent training over time to get there. It doesn't happen overnight.
  • I could barely run a minute. Now i can run 4 miles without stopping which takes me about 45! the C25K is a miracle plan if you stick with it and push yourself.
  • First time out? 50 meters. Longest? 13.1 miles.
  • When I first started exercising, I almost collapsed after about 30 seconds of slow jogging. Now, I've been exercising for 5 months and practicing running for about 1.5 months, and I can comfortably run 3/4 of a mile without stopping. I'm working on it diligently, though.
  • I was just coming here to whine about how pitiful I am at running, this makes me feel so much better!

I'm actually in decent shape, strength wise. I have a very physical job (I work at a horse barn), and I can toss hay bales all day, but for some reason, I have no wind built up. I've started to jog, and I can go for about 5 min straight but it hurts. Like my breathing gets all raspy and nasty feeling.

I stretch, walk for a few minutes, run as long as I can, and then walk until my 60 min is up. Right now, only 5 min of that 60 min is running. I'd like to see how much of the 60 min I can fill up with running.

I also run at a pretty good pace though, so my 5 min isn't terrible. I've gone running with my fiance who is in the Army, and although I can only keep up for a couple minutes, he says I'm running at a good 8-minute mile pace. If I try to slow down, I actually feel like I'm using more energy and just not getting anywhere.