weight gain after starting exercise?

• I started doing an hour brisk walk every morning last Thursday. This after a long 3 month break from exercising. My diet hasn't changed just adding exercise to the mix. why did I gain 2 lbs?
    This is the reason why I stopped exercising a few months ago, because I gained instead of lost.
    should I add those lbs as gained weight or leave my weight at what it is (141) and not count it?
  • muscle tissue is heavier than fat tissue. You need to check your measurements you could have lost inches.
  • It takes a lot more time to build up muscle than a week.

There are LOTS of reasons the scale can blip up and down, including changes to exercise routine, which can cause water retention. Or you might have eaten a bit more sodium this weekend, or the walking made you slightly more dehydrated so you're retaining a bit of water. There are literally dozens of little things that can cause scale fluctuations, so I really wouldn't worry about it unless the gain is persistent or continues to go up past 2-3 weeks.
  • Are you drinking enough water? Your body will retain water when you work out if you aren't drinking enough water everyday. I aim for at least 8 glasses a day and usually end up getting around 10.
  • Hon, you are pregnant? Week 5??? You know that any lbs fluctuations, especially at week 5, are water retention!!!! You said baby #5 - you got more experience than I do with this ****, I've been everywhere from 120lbs to 130lbs in one WEEK!

You are 141lbs and 5'4, almost 5'5, how come you are trying to lose weight if you are pregnant? I know it sucks for us girls who used to be overweight to see scale gain, but this really isn't the time for it. Just stay active for now.
  • Totally agree, that if you're pregnant you shouldn't worry about weight gain, stay healthy and fit and you'll be fine....
  • LOL the reason I worry about it is that I'm trying to stick to when Dr. Sears says on how much weight you should gain. He says you should gain 4 lbs in the first trimester. I'm only on my 5th wk and 2 lbs already.
    But this has happened before the pregnancy. Its the reason why I stopped exercising to lose weight on just my diet (18 lbs). I would gain 2 lbs then after I would stop exercising for 2 weeks, it would come off.
    I'll try not to worry about it.
  • I wouldn't take too much stock into what you "should" or shouldn't gain during pregnancy. I mean didn't they say back in the day a woman shouldn't gain more than 20 and now on average women gain 35?
  • very true