Headaches; Gluc XR

• Has anybody on Gluc XR had headaches? I have been taking a week or so, and have had a mild headache off and on over the last 3 days, but have had one now for about 36 hours straight..

• I have plenty of headaches, but never really tied them to the Gluc. Something to think about I guess. Do you think it could be anything else?

Hope your feeling better now..

• The only thing I can think of would be sinus headaches, but I don't feel very congested. The big one didn't come back, but I do get small and brief ones a few times a week, still.
  • Glucophage XR
    Hi Jennifer, I am so happy I found you and your sister's website! (Is Amy still involved? I found your site a couple of months ago and was following her journal and see she hasn't posted anything in awhile) I usually post under the dieting with health problems, since I'm a type II diabetic since the end of February, but there's a lot of correlation between PCOS and the insulin resistance in type II's. I'm on 2000 glucophage XR -1000 in am and 1000 pm- I had headaches in the first week, but the main side effect I had to live with at first was with the gastro issues (I was going to get a bumper sticker that said get out of my way, I'm on Glucophage!) but like the literature says, it improves after a couple of weeks. Hope it helps you out! I'm like a lot of you doing the Insulin Resistance Diet. I try to keep my am and lunch dinners to no more than 45 carbs with some protein and dinner more around 30 so that I can fit in a bedtime snack (1/2 carbs 1/2 protein) so that the sugar levels stay even during the night. Glucophage is supposed to help you lose weight too! I lost 25 pds after being diagnosed with the diabetes and am trying for another 20 jus to help things out. Good talking with you. I tell everyone about this website!

Thanks,

Pamela

Pam
  • Ha! A bumper sticker like that would be hysterical. I am having very little problems with XR so far. However, I am only on 500 a day right now! I will start with 1000 tomorrow. I actually should have done 1000 today but I forgot. D'oh! My headaches are mostly gone, except for the tension ones. Those still happen quite a bit.

Great job on the weight loss! How long have you been doing the Insulin Resistance Diet?
  • I didn't even know about the Insulin Resistance Diet until I saw the posts under the PCOS thread...Cutting down carbs is just a natural when you are type II. I didn't even think I would have qualified as having been PCOS until I started looking more into eveyone's emails and stories. Think I probably qualified. I'm going to ask my dr. when I see her again in fall sometime. One of my co-workers was just diagnosed as PCOS 2 days ago. She's got major infertility issues and wants to get pregnant really bad. She's going on vacation and when she gets back, she's going to start on glucophage herself.
  • Well, amongst the headaches and other assorted after effects, all I can say is this rots! I have been suffering a major bout of #2 issues and I've put myself back on 500mg per day just to give my body a chance to relax! I'm not too sure that such a high dosage (doc has me on 1500mg per day) is really helping me, rahter hurting me! The good news is that I can report weight loss, something I ahd desperately been trying to do low carbing and it just wasn't coming off fast enough. Glad to say that now it is!
  • Hey Pooky, how long have you been on the Gluc? I posted some stuff on yesterday's LC daily, you might have read that by now.

Pamela, good luck on the Insulin Resistance Diet. Keep us posted!