Interesting Exercise Advice

• I read somewhere not long ago that if you force yourself to smile during a workout it tricks your brain into thinking it is easier. Well, I decided what the heck, it couldn't hurt me to try. I got on my elliptical intending to do 45 minutes. When it started getting rough I just started grinning. My towel was blocking my display, as usual, and before I knew it I had accidentally gone 61 minutes and 38 seconds. I only stopped when the ridges on the foot pedals started hurting my feet.
  • Wow! That is really great advice! I will definitely give it a try tomorrow! Thanks for sharing.
  • I am giving that a try!!! Thanks for posting this!
  • That is cool! I'll try it next time I am struggling too
  • Well, I"m heading to the gym to ellipticise my butt in 30 minutes and you bet I'll be using every trick in my book to stay on for the duration...so, I'll add this one to my tricks. Thanks. Even if its hocus pocus, if it works out for you, its worth the effort. And besides, I'm sure a bunch of grinning gals working out is better to look at the scowlers.
  • That trick works for me too! I'm usually too shy to do it in public, but if I'm at home doing a DVD or something I'll smile away... don't laugh, but something that also helps me is when I'm doing a DVD, I pretend like I'm actually ON the DVD, so I have to smile and work hard! Hahaah...
  • Wow -- that is a great idea! Congrats!
  • I think whatever works mentally, just do it no matter how silly it seems. I've been thinking about training for the winter olympics. Another mental thing, but if it works.
  • It works too, now that I think about it!
  • I try and get on the treadmill when AFV is on, I smile most of the time I am on the treadmill. If I did not have that show on and my dh came downstairs and I was grinning while watching the news say my dh might think I lost it. Well, I think he thinks that anyways lol
  • There have been many studies that show, that this works when you're in a bad mood too....just grin and eventually the mood will lift. Great stress buster!
    For discovery for working out for sure!