Interesting substitute for heavy cream...

• I saw this vegetarian/vegan cook, Tal, making a cream soup recipe on Oprah the other day. Since it was a vegan recipe, he couldn't use actual cream...so he made a substitute out of raw cashews. I think it would be a great substitute for us, even if we're okay with dairy, since it's good fats. Haven't tried it yet, but would love to hear about your experiences!

Here's the recipe:

Cashew Cream (Substitute for Heavy Cream in Recipes)
  • thanks for that- pretty exotic let you know how it works out
    i sure do miss oprah *sigh*
  • I saw that show. What a great chef! Thanks for posting!
  • I've had the thinner version in a raw foods restaurant in MA. It has a nice taste. I might have to try this for a holiday treat. Thanks Laurie!
  • That's interesting. Have you tried the SBD soup recipe for Chicken Chipotle soup, which is thickened with puree'd chickpeas? We love that and made it when we were off the diet too! Also, eggs are used to thicken several different kinds of creamy soups...

My husband is ovo-lacto vegetarian and his vegan cookbook has some really bleck recipes in it. I love cashews, though!!!
  • Cyndi, he says in the info about the recipe that this was originally used in raw foods cookbooks for use with desserts. Could make a really yummy substitute for Cool Whip in things like the PB Cup, or for desserts like that pie someone was trying to make. I think it has some serious possibilities!

WW, I love using other things to thicken soups--I received an immersion blender last Christmas, and it's made pureeing soups SOOO much easier. I make tons of them now.
  • thx again laurie- one of my students just discovered she's allergic to gluten and lactose....i was able to pass on the recipe and made her very happy!
  • You can also make it with pine nuts, water, and a pinch of nutmeg. DH can't tell the difference.