Veggie Question

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I know there's a WW forum, but I kind of wanted a general picture of how everyone counts these things.

So, on WW, vegetables are typically considered 0 points with a few exceptions (avocados, cooked onions, etc).

I just had a whole bag of steamed veggies for lunch - baby carrots, sugar snap peas and baby corn - all 0 point vegetables. The bag says that it contains ~ 4 servings, (about 4 cups of vegetables) and that each serving is 40 calories, 0 fat, 3 g of fiber (2.5 points according to my calculator - only accounting for 4 g of fiber for all 4 servings). I typically have that many raw veggies in a day and just say "0 points."

When you eat vegetables - do you count the calories - or are they freebies? I'm debating if I should consider this a 0 point lunch (I hate doing that, it makes me nervous) or use the 2.5 point measure, even though I don't usually "count" vegetables.

I'm TRYING to be more accountable and get myself out of this 3 lb up and down plateau I've been on, so I'm being really anal about counting things.

Any thoughts?
  • I don't count fruit and veggies at all, really. I don't eat quite that much, but I usually try to have two pieces of fruit a day, and I really don't count it into my daily intake.

But then again I haven't really lost any weight in awhile.......
  • If you're looking for all answers outside of WW - I count veggies calories.

Also, I did do WW for about 6 months - and I counted veggies. I did the online program, so I just entered everything in there and it came up with points for vegetables.
  • When I did WW last year, I did the online version. While veggies were considered zero points per serving, if you put in multiple servings, it usually counted it as 0.5 or 1 depending on how much you ate. To be on the safe side, I would count the 4 cups as at least 1.5 points, especially because of the carrots.
  • Quote: Also, I did do WW for about 6 months - and I counted veggies. I did the online program, so I just entered everything in there and it came up with points for vegetables.
    I typically have peppers, sugar snap peas/snow peas, cucumbers, tomatoes (all 0 points). I "used" the online system, but most of the time just used the book they gave us.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to do the 2.5, just to be safe. Just seeing 0 in my tracker makes me nervous...like BUT I ATE SOMETHING.

Thank you
  • I do count my veggie calories (I'm a CCer) but I understand that WW would encourage participants to eat as many veggies as they want "for free".

I do something a little similar. I count 100 cals for my supplements (most of the cals are from fish oil, btw). I count those cals whether I take them or not. That way, I'm not setting up a negative motivator to avoid taking my supplements.

For folks who don't get enough veggies, maybe the same strategy could apply -- budget a few hundred calories (or some points) each day for veggies and dock them even if you don't eat that many.

Personally, I love veggies and they are a large component of my diet (especially if you add in fruit). If I didn't account for those calories, I'd be way off.
  • I never used to count veggies when I was doing ww, just fruit. No matter how much I ate. If I did count the veggies then I would come in waay under calorie wise and be so hungry.
  • this is going to sound like a dumb approach but it works for me .... i am also doing WW i eat about 28 points a day and i alot 3 of them aside evrey day so basically i eat 25 points and count 2 points for the vegetables i eat that day ... ( no matter how many veggies i eat in a day i count it as 2 points and i eat alot of veggies ! ) and one point for sugar free gum ... i chew about a pack a day ... ( 5 sticks )
  • That is a lot of gum...
  • I don't do WW, but it seems odd not to count veggies. I count calories, and I count everything that enters my mouth, keeps me accountable, keeps me on track. I'd definitely count them.

-Aimee
  • Well, with the points - it factors in calories, fat and fiber. If something is low in calories, has no fat and high in fiber (as are many many vegetables), they will equal 0 points, but as someone above said, that's for 1 serving.
  • I count vegetables because I am paranoid and obsessive compulsive about my calorie counting I wouldnt think that NOT counting them would be the reason you werent losing weight, if you werent losing anymore though
  • I normally don't count fruits or veggies. I mean, I count corn, potatoes, avacados..etc... but normally I don't bother cause those kinda things are good for you anyway
  • Icon the thing was I kept doing what I was dong and I just hit a wall, so I'm being psycho. I'll see how things go after this week
  • I count them, since sometimes they add up. I don't count if it's such a small amount, like a lettuce leaf or slice of onion on a sandwich, and I don't count bagged salads/lettuce- I just count whatever put in the bowl as 1 serving.