I need help in this area!

• I have never really ate healthy before. I am use to fried foods and eating out almost everyday. When it came time to having to cook healthy, I had no idea what to do.

I have been cooking chicken breast on the George Forman, steaming broccoli and carrots, and eating brown rice for dinner but I am SO sick of it. I have a hard time eating meats other than ham, smoked pork chops, sausage and chicken (although I am not to fond of it). But I am not a big veggie person either without that ranch dressing which is now banned from the house. So yeah, I am a pretty picky eater. I need help!!

I have no idea what to eat for breakfast! I have been eating fat free milk with a cup of rice chex. They taste terrible.

And for lunch, a tuna sandwich with light mayo, relish, and chick peas with wheat bread.

There is a bunch of fruit it the mix daily to. I am drinking nothing but fruit-2-0 and regular water.

I need new ideas. I have no idea what is a good idea to eat and what is not.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!
  • What about roasted chicken? Lower in fat and YUMMY!

I suggest picking up a "cooking light" book and trying out the recipes- I love their recipes and best of all they aren't bad on the calories/fat.

Some recipe site I go to are sparkrecipes.com (look at nutrition on these they do all sorts of types of recipes- some are high fat/calories). I also check out myrecipes.com
  • For breakfast, how about oatmeal with shredded apples and cinnamon? I make oatmeal just with water but unsweetened almond milk would also be good. How about a whole wheat tortilla with some peanut butter or almond butter with half a banana?

One of my favorite lunches is a big green salad with fat free refried beans and salsa. It is like a taco salad without the taco. Another favorite meal of mine is a big bowl of lentil/spinach soup.

Also, start just doing a google search for the types of recipes you are interested in. One of my favorite blogs is fat free vegan. When I wanted to figure out how to add more veggies into my diet, I started looking at vegan recipes because they generally have very creative ways to make veggies:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
  • Hey kitty mom! I had a hard time breaking out of the rut of having the same ole chicken & broccoli too. I swear, if I ate 1 more piece of broccoli, I was going to pee green! I am on a new plan now that makes me think of how to make foods I like but in healthier ways; Example, breakfast is often a whole wheat sandwich round (those little thin things in the grocery store that are only 100 cal.) with 1 egg & 1egg white cooked and put in the middle. I top that with a touch of reduced fat cheese, a slice of cadadian bacon (the 30 cal. kind) and I have a healthy english muffin! It is really good and healthy. So, try to think of ways to improve your current likes; and mostly, have great success!
  • Great ideas!! Thanks so much! How is the reduced fat cheese? I was urged to stay away from cheese, and I am having a terrible time with it!
  • I never liked reduced fat cheese. I always thought cheese was too caloric and I would rather spend my calories on something else. I gave up cheese entirely for other reasons a couple years ago but it wasn't a big shock because I barely ate it before that point.
  • Hi - some of the things I have for breakfast are: tortilla with pb & banana,
    toasted tomato sandwich with ff mayo & lettuce (sometimes add ff cheese slice), oatmeal, cereal, fruit with cheese.
    Lunch - supper leftovers, tuna or egg salad wrapped in boston lettuce leaves,
    chili, big salad with sunflower seeds & lots of veggies.
    Supper - meat or fish with veggies, spaghetti squash with meat sauce,
    veggie lasagna, omellete

Hope you like some of these things.
  • Quote: Hi - some of the things I have for breakfast are: tortilla with pb & banana,
    toasted tomato sandwich with ff mayo & lettuce (sometimes add ff cheese slice), oatmeal, cereal, fruit with cheese.
    Lunch - supper leftovers, tuna or egg salad wrapped in boston lettuce leaves,
    chili, big salad with sunflower seeds & lots of veggies.
    Supper - meat or fish with veggies, spaghetti squash with meat sauce,
    veggie lasagna, omellete

Hope you like some of these things.
    Yes I do thank you!! How is FF mayo? What brand do you use?
  • Quote: I never liked reduced fat cheese. I always thought cheese was too caloric and I would rather spend my calories on something else. I gave up cheese entirely for other reasons a couple years ago but it wasn't a big shock because I barely ate it before that point.
    I might be doing this to. Ugh. Its like my favorite food, lol.
  • Momto3kittiess--I, too, love cheese. I allow myself an ounce before bed. Full fat. I weigh it. I don't have it every night, but if I have room (and some days I make sure I have room) I have it.

My favourite way to have it is this way:
    I lightly toast a piece of rye bread. Then I place the cheese on it with a slice of onion and tomato. I sprinkle basil on that and then put it under the broiler for 5 minutes. Oh, so good!

I learned to cook with books by Leanne Ely. I loved "Saving Dinner." I also use "Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way." Not only does she have recipes, but calorie counts and exchanges listed: she also suggests what to serve along with the main meal.

Check out my blog. I've a few recipes posted--one family favourite is "Pork and Squash." It's a Leanne Ely recipe and so good!

The book, Food Matters, by Mark Bittmen also has super simple recipes to follow--and it's all very healthy.

Good luck! This is a fantastic new adventure.
  • Breakfast--right--I'm sort of stuck in my own rut with this one!

I take a mushroom, red pepper and onion and chop up enough of each to have about 1/4 cup or a handful altogether--and fry them in a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. (Very important to me, I've found. A teeny bit of fat keeps me feeling full a long time.) Then I take an egg and crack it into a bowl and mix it with about 1/2 shell of water. I whip that up and them pour it over the veggies.

It's not *really* and omelette, but that's what I call it.

(I actually chop the veggies all at once and keep the extra on hand so that the next time I make breakfast, it's quicker!)
  • Hi - I buy the Kraft Miracle Whip FF, they also now have Hellmans Light - I like any of them.
  • Thank you so much Alana...I have checked out your blog and I love it!! And Bandit, thanks! I have the Light Hellmans..but I really want something FF, so I will try miracle whip!