Wrong amount of calcium

• I just figured out I've been taking only 800mg of calcium citrate for the last 4 months when I should have taken twice that. Have I done to much damage? I've noticed pain in the upper mid back over the last 6 weeks, or will I be able to revervse any damage by taking the right dose from here on out?
  • When were your last labs drawn? What were you calcium, PTH, and Vit D levels?

I doubt you've done any permanent damage in 4 months. Even if you hadn't been taking ANY calcium for 4 months, that would likely not cause irreversible damage.
  • Gina -honey -don't fret so much. you at least got SOME calcium in, and that's better than most people. a Blood calcium level won't show very much, because what's in the blood has come out of your bones - the only way to make absolutely sure is to have a bone density test.

BUT just take the right dose. do some weight-bearing exercise [walking is great - but also do some upper body weight work] so that the calcium will stay IN your bones, and you'll be fine. it is indeed possible to reverse whatever may [or may not!!] have happened to your bones.

you're doing fine. don't panic!
  • GO see you doctor about the pain in the upper middle of your back, that sounds more like gallstones.
  • I go in for my 6 month check up in November,my 3 month labs were fine calcium was low side of normal. I didn't even think about it being gallstones but there are going to do another ultrasound on my 6 month check up.
    The only reason I related it to bone or muscle is because pain goes away when I lie flat.
    Thanks for your reasurance I've been kind of stressed lately with one of our dogs had a bad reaction to rabies vac. and can't eat with out assitance had to have one eye sutured shut being unable to blink.
    And it's that TOM
  • Gina my calcium levels have been low since having surgery. I had only been taking them once a day. All other levels were low. Fortunatley my Dr wasn"t as worried about the calcium as he was iron and white blood cells I have increased my dosage to twice a day
  • Thanks for the insite worthylady that makes me feel better. I'm just going to take the right amount from now on,cause in a month and a half I should be fine on the blood work.
  • Everyone at a year out should have a bone mass density test.

Calcium levels aren't usually accurately detected in bloodwork.
  • Thanks stefani,
    That makes a lot of sense