I'm running in a 5k!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I never thought I'd be a runner. However, I've signed up to run a 5k in December and I went on my first training run last night . I'm doing the couch to 5k program (9 weeks to convert the non-runner to being able to run a 5K).

The scale for me has been stuck. It seems as if I've been in the mid-270s forever. I'm hoping that changing my exercise routine by encorporating running will kick start the scale and I'll actually be able to see the 260s at some point.
  • Congrats, and best of luck!
  • Congrats, last year I would only run if someone was chasing me with a gun!!! However, I ran my first 5k on August 29th. U can do this!!!!!!!
  • Right on, Matt! Good luck with your training!
  • Awesome, Matt! Good luck to you!
  • Totally awesome! Have fun with it!!

I want to start the couch to 5k soon.. but we need to move first, I can't run where I am and with my boat load of kids it's a hassel to drag everyone somewhere safe for them to play without my undivided attention. We are moving to a private road... I can't wait for that!
  • Good for you Matt!

That's quite the committment. I like how you're just putting it out there like that.

All the best to you!
  • Be careful, it can be a slippery slope.

First you do a 5K, then a 10k pops up and next thing you know you've signed up for a half marathon and are paying attention to people who are telling you how to increase your pace!
  • Best wishes for crossing the finish line.
  • Congrats - Training for races I've found is an excellent way to keep motivated with the exercise! I learned to run and did my first triathlons last summer myself too. Was pretty exciting.

Let us know how it goes!
  • Good job, Matt! I'm becoming a runner, too, and I have to say that I am really loving it. I did part of C25K earlier this summer but got sidelined by asthma. I've been running regularly for about 3 weeks now and I can see a big difference in my shape! I just got out of a short stall but the weight is going down again now. My lower legs are getting a lot smaller and the other day I felt.......these strange, hard ridges on my sides....they're RIBS! I love the way running makes me feel and I think I will love the way it makes me look even more.

I'm playing with the idea of doing a 5K in October. I can do about 2 miles without stopping now, so hopefully I'll be up to the task when the race rolls around. Best of luck to you!
  • So brave! But hey, if you can walk 60 miles, I'm sure you can run 5k
  • I think this is great. I started running a few months ago, I am set to do a 5k on Thanksgiving Day, although I'm considering one in October just because I am so eager to do the first one. I loved the C25K program.

Also, I agree with Couch, if you can do the 60 mile walk, running should be easy-peasy!
  • That's awesome! That will be a great new way to motivate yourself!
  • I've seen that program online, and considering doing it. But I'm trying to build up the courage.