Does anyone know how alcohol affects your weight loss?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I haven't had any adult beverages since I started my new lifestyle. I want to have a couple of drinks tonight and I have budgeted my calories for it in advance but I just want to know how it affects weight loss because I really don't know.

Any opinions or articles are welcome.
  • I wish I could help ya but I don't drink alcohol at all, sorry :|

That said, I would think if you have budgeted it into your calories for the day it should be okay..? Or so I think anyway ..
  • Quote: I wish I could help ya but I don't drink alcohol at all, sorry :|

That said, I would think if you have budgeted it into your calories for the day it should be okay..? Or so I think anyway ..
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Well, yeah. I know it will be ok because I have budgeted for it. But I always thought alcohol could affect your weight loss in a bad way. Like causing you to stall or something. But I'm not real sure about that. It's just hearsay.

I guess I will find out huh? lol
  • I've heard some people say alcohol makes them retain water. Personally, my weight is usually down the morning after I drink (it's a very temporary drop and then returns to normal). As long as I budget my points (WW) I haven't had any problems.

I think the problem some people have isn't the alcohol itself as much as the "drunk munchies." In the wrong environment, with enough alcohol, my plan goes right out the window!
  • Oh yeah, I agree on the drunk munchies. lol Been there, done that.
    But I don't really drink enough these days for that to happen anymore. Usually the most I drink now is about 4 drinks, 2 on average.

I was actually going to make myself a strawberry daiquiri. My own Low cal version. Made with strawberry crystal light and real strawberries.
  • This is not a yes or no question. Alcohol affects everyone differently. I can't have it, personally, if I want to lose weight. But I'm super-sensitive to carbs and sugar. YMMV.
  • drunk munchies! That's me!
  • The sugar stalls my weight loss if I have too many alchoholic beverages within a week. One or two doesn't seem to cause any problems.
  • I have one drink a week (a mojito that I make from mint in my garden). It's working for me, but before I put that in my plan, I really searched my soul to make sure that one drink wouldn't trigger either more eating or more drinking. From the soul search, I realized that I have lots of triggers (doughnuts, potato chips, commercial pizza), but alcohol isn't a trigger for me. I confidently put it in my plan and it's been fine.
  • Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it (from what I've heard). I used to drink at least 1 glass of wine most nights and I cut it out for a couple weeks. I dropped another 5 lbs. But I'm sure it affects everyone differently and if you've already budgeted for it in your daily calorie intake you should be ok. I definitely wasn't taking it into consideration before I cut it out for a while.
  • Beyond the calories in alcohol, I've also heard that it slows your metabolism.
  • I'd say its a mix of everything one's sad above: slows the metabolism, causes drunk munchies, high in carbs and sugar..... but the one that really gets me is the water retention.

Now that I've been on track for the past 4 or 5 months, I've drank twice I think and each time I put on about a pound or two in water weight that came off within two days as long as I went right back on my plan (and even after I allowed our late night traditional Whitecastle run, surprisingly).

When it all comes down to it, I think it's okay to have that fun night every now and then.... the little bit of weight and/or water weight you put on from that one night will come right back off if you stick to your other plan. Does for me anyways.
  • red wine is a good choice..great for antioxidants...just measure..

if you are into cocktails how about tequila, fresca and lemon juice? It suits me fine and tequila is less than 100 cal an ounce.
  • just make sure you dont get drunk enough to start eating bad stuff!