Zumba

• Has anyone ever tried zumba classes at the gym or on dvd?

I was a little skeptical about going at first because I don't have the best rhythm and didn't know what it was like but I recently got hooked on these classes after my first one. They are so much fun and different every time so i haven't gotten bored yet!

For anyone who doesn't know what zumba is, it is an aerobic dance class with salsa, merengue, cumbia, reggaeton, and hip hop. it really never feels like you are working out!
  • I have a couple of the DVDs but have yet to try them.

Here's a couple threads on Zumba from members here if you want to check them out -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...239-zumba.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...418-zumba.html
  • I've never heard of zumba before, but it sounds fun.

@ Onederchic - Thanks for those links. I was just about to mention the forum section on exercise videos. You're always so helpful.
  • I have heard its awesome. Do you have to learn any steps? I am horrible if I have to learn actual steps. I end up spending all my time trying to learn rather than MOVING my big butt!
  • Quote: I've never heard of zumba before, but it sounds fun.

@ Onederchic - Thanks for those links. I was just about to mention the forum section on exercise videos. You're always so helpful.

You're welcome
  • Quote: I have heard its awesome. Do you have to learn any steps? I am horrible if I have to learn actual steps. I end up spending all my time trying to learn rather than MOVING my big butt!
    Well, you have to learn the basic steps and a lot of the same ones are used in different dances. They are also not really difficult steps. The teachers that I have had always say don't worry about doing the steps perfect just try and have fun.
  • They have definately peeked my interest, but I'm chicken. I'm a WATP girl, I'm afraid of anything that requires too much coordination yet. But they are on my "down the scale" list.
  • My college offers them, they let students sit in on classes if you aren't signed up for it, and as long as there's room, everyone's welcome to work out. I try and hit one a few times a week, especially if I just want some of that extra feeling of umph!
  • I have no rhythm and once tripped over a weight rack during a class and NO ONE laughed at me. That makes it an excellent class, IMHO. I go once a week and just try to work up a sweat.
  • We have several Zumba classes at my Y (even one in the water and one for kids) and they are extremely popular. I tried a 101 class and was completely out of my element. (I have no rhythm and am not good at choreography) But people seem to love it so much, I am thinking that will be my next workout addition once I need to mix it up again.
  • I'm starting a Zumba class tomorrow! I'm excited...but I'm not that coordinated. The people in my exercise group are realy nice so I'm hoping it goes well.