Exercise?

• Okay, does anyone just go walking outside to get their exercise. I mean for those who do not have any exercise equipment at their home or if they can't go to the gym. Would it work the same?
  • I would have to say yes, walking is a great form of exercise.
  • I lost lots of weight just watching what I eat (calorie counting) and walking 5 miles, 3 times a week. Hope that answers your question. ;-)
  • Great, thanks
  • Also, you should check out exercisetv.tv, they have full length videos you can view for free.
  • you bet! I work out quite a lot and several of my workouts each week are outdoor workouts - you can do TONS outdoors, cardio and resistance. If you're just starting out walking is fantastic, you can build that up to speed walking or running if that's something that interests you. Challenge yourself by taking on hills (short and long, steep and gradual). Walk/run trails and pavement and if you have a beach nearby sand is great.

If you want to do resistance training you can do "starter" push-ups with your hands on a park bench, tricep dips (sitting on the bench and lowering yourself down and up), step ups on steps or a bench...the list goes on and on!
  • im a walker. cardio is cardio and you dont really need anything fancy to do it. other types of exercise like strength training i dont know much about, but for basic cardio i walk outside. fresh air, ipod, and its free!
  • I am also a walker. It has worked great for me.

J
  • An ipod and the open road is all I use.

As its starting to get dark earlier I am walking in the mornings now, but I have 3/4 different walks I can do, some up hill some not.
  • I'm A Walker, Too
    Walking is a great form of exercise. I take a 3 mile walk every day. In my case, I have seen my blood glucose levels drop and stay low, during and after my walks. I am positive walking does wonders for those non-diabetics as well.
  • Quote: Also, you should check out exercisetv.tv, they have full length videos you can view for free.

Thank You for that link Onederchic... Looks like a great source of information!
  • Walking is great as exercise. I love using my pedometer because that way I can track what I do. In my food/exercise journal I write down how many steps I took, how far I walked, etc. I shoot for 10,000 steps a day which for me is nearly 5 miles. I don't do it all at once, but use excuses like walking to the drug store or grocery store to make the steps all add up. It's a great motivator.
  • Quote: Thank You for that link Onederchic... Looks like a great source of information!

You're welcome, Jeff
  • Quote: Okay, does anyone just go walking outside to get their exercise. I mean for those who do not have any exercise equipment at their home or if they can't go to the gym. Would it work the same?
    There are plenty of exercises you can do at home without equipment. Pretty much all abs, leg lifts, push ups, dips (use a chair), squats (don't need equipment), lunges, hip exercises, etc. You can also increase the abs by getting an exercise ball from Wal Mart for $11 - you can do push ups and abs and back exercises on it. Walking in place, jogging in place, dancing, walking up and down stairs etc. for cardio can also be done without leaving the house. For adding resistance training, $15 at wal mart for a box of resistance bands. It can be done at home and it can be done inexpensively. You can do it!