I need party help...

• I'm doing really well counting my calories and I've gotten a method of eating at home that seems to work...

But outside the house, when I don't prepare the food I'm totally lost.

Tonight, we were invited to the neighbors for dinner-- a disastrous menu... chili dogs, mayonaisse-y potato salad, chips, and champagne.

What's an ubergirl to do?

I ended up eating a hot dog without a bun, sauerkraut and two (small) glasses of champagne ()

Came home hungry and poking around the fridge for food.

I added up my calories and had only reached 900 for the day. No wonder I was hungry. So, I had a bread and peanut butter and a cheese stick.

I could have eaten more at the party but I had no idea how to figure out the right amount.

What do you all do in that situation?
  • Honestly, I bring along something I can eat. Often a vegetable tray, or a healthy salad. I also bring my own "meat" since I am a vegetarian. That way I KNOW the calories in my Boca or Garden Burger.

If that isn't possible, I eat before I go and skip the food except for those items that I can identify as being "on plan".
  • Quote: Honestly, I bring along something I can eat. Often a vegetable tray, or a healthy salad. I also bring my own "meat" since I am a vegetarian. That way I KNOW the calories in my Boca or Garden Burger.

If that isn't possible, I eat before I go and skip the food except for those items that I can identify as being "on plan".
    Do you explain why you are bringing your own food?

So far, I've just been declining anything that I couldn't readily figure out how many calories it had...I don't mind telling people that I'm watching my food intake, but I might feel like I was calling attention to myself in a party situation...
  • I arrive with a veggie tray or salad - and the explanation depends upon who is giving the party.
    Casual acquittance or work-related event - I just say that I thought it would be nice to bring an extra dish to share. They always add it to the mix with a "thank you" - no questions asked.

If it is a close friend or relative, I will probably call ahead and ask what I can bring - not taking no for an answer. I usually SUGGEST a few things I would be willing to bring and let them pick what compliments their menu.

Worst case scenario - I stuff a protein bar in my purse and discretely munch away

Bottom line - this is a lifestyle change and I will not compromise my health or fitness for a social occasion.

That being said - there is nothing wrong with PLANNING a party into your week. I like calorie shifting because I can plan for a party and still stay on plan by eating less earlier in the week. BUT - there has to be healthy food available. "Junk" food is off limits for me. I can recover from the calories a lot faster than I can recover from the tailspin that it throws my body into. I feel rotten for DAYS afterwards.
  • I bring food I usually ask what's for dinner BEFORE I go (if it's at all possible) and plan according to that. If I can't and I don't want to pack my own food then I have reasonable portions of decent foods and estimate when I get home.
  • Quote: I bring food I usually ask what's for dinner BEFORE I go (if it's at all possible) and plan according to that. If I can't and I don't want to pack my own food then I have reasonable portions of decent foods and estimate when I get home.
    I like the idea of bringing a healthy food along...

So far in the social situations I've been in, I've been able to gravitate toward healthy food-- but hot dogs, chili, chips, and potato salad didn't give me any options. I did fine on calories for the day, but I did feel sort of irritated at the party.

I might add that this same friend told me she was "doing adkins".... her primary strategy seems to be the part about eating high fat!
  • Sometimes I bring food, I'm vegetarian so for bbq's and such it's pretty much a must to bring along a veggie patty and I usually get some sushi vegetable rolls too to snack on throughout the day.

also, I have an iphone and I have spark on there so I can tally up what i"m eating as I go and stay on plan.