Portion Control- new discoveries

• Since hubby and I have started eating better, changing our lifestyle close to a month ago, we portion out EVERYTHING on Sunday that way our meal making is a cinch during the week!

I started portioning out my daughters snacks for the week as well (chips, cookies).

I recently bought a box of the reduced fat Cheezits and haven't had a moment to sit and portion out the box...I turn around and see my two daughters at our kitchen table (hands washed to boot!) counting Cheezits and putting them in bags! I also hear my 6th grader telling my 3rd grader "we have to do it right that way we'll have more Cheezit's since we're in a Recession!"

I wanted to laugh but she has a point, most people dont read labels and just grab a handful here and there and 4 servings later, the box is gone! lol I guess not only does portioning save us some major calories but also $$.

Just wanted to share my story
  • Aww that is so cute, really! Thanks for sharing
  • That is great! Its teaching them so many fantastic habits, not only physical health but financial health as well.
  • I just bought the very big size of raison nut mix for my kids because the preportioned ones were 1. too large and 2. too expensive.

This is exactly my plan. I even have a food scale which I plan to use
  • That is a great idea and sure does save a lot of money over buying the 100 calorie packs of snacks like I do now.
  • That is awesome.. I wish my parents had taught me things like that. It would have saved me alot of aggravation ;-)
  • I portion my crackers and such out too, I think it's a great practice.

however - I've found that there are never 7 servings if the box of wheat thins says "about 7 servings" - there's always 6 servings and like 1 or 2 extra crackers.
  • That's so adorable and good at the same time! They'll learn the joy of living healthily, and they got more $$$ to spend, and I think that's quite fun

I'm glad for you ^^
  • That is adorable....plus she was teaching her sibling a good lesson. Seems like my bf's kids just fight! lol.

Bf and I were just saying the other day that we don't mind spending more $$$$ on groceries for South Beach since we are saving so much by not going out to eat/drink, and because we are not spending as much at Starbucks or the vending machines at work.

That is definitely not a positive benefit we would have even guessed would happen.
  • Awwww, that's so adorable!
  • Such a great story. And besides portioning out snacks for adults I think it's just as important for children. Those portion sizes on the side of the package are for adults. Children don't need the same size as an adult. No wonder we see so many obese children these days. Many of them eat and over-eat adult portions. Keep up the great work with your kids.