September Exercise Challenge

You're on Page 3 of 24
Go to
  • ? for runners
    So I just started running last night. It was hard but it didn't hurt really. But now my shins are aching. I'm sure that being on my feet all day today contributed to that pain but the running is definitely the main reason for it. So What should I do: Take some advil and push through it until my body adjusts to my new routine? Take some time off and start slower? Any exercises to help prevent shin pain from future runs?
  • going for a nap! lol bbl.........
  • Hello everyone Im in this month as well my goal is to get five hours each week of cardio in. I use my ticker to keep track good luck everyone
  • Hi aclaia, I hope your feeling better. Oh gosh girl, No I wouldn't recommend pushing through it! whenever we feel pain like that or very sore it is good to let the muscles rest otherwise we risk facing injury. Are you just starting out? Would you consider starting by walking first? then as you gain fitness you can increase the duration a bit and then as you get even more fit you can increase the speed etc. and then maybe start alternating between running and walking (if running is your ultimate goal). A lot of the girls here started walking first (I beleive ) and worked up to the running. Perhaps some of the other girls here can offer some input too. My suggestion would be to let your muscles rest a d ay or even 2 (if needed) and/or do some arm exercises etc. Keep us posted okay? Your doing great, congrats again on all of your successes thus far

Bigmid, In the goals list I put a 1/2 hr. a day and approx. 840 min. (based on 28 days) so that gives you 2 days leeway. Please let me know if this is okay and let me know what you want your final calculation in minutes to be. I dont have a problem to change it. I think a 1/2 hr. a day is wonderful! When I first started I remember putting in walking 3-5 x a week or something like that (I had to do more though cause I quit smoking) but I really think it's a wonderful start. Welcome aboard

Welcome to all and great to see everyone. I sweating again for some godforsaken reason so heading downstairs. THe dewpoint is low, it's not hot.......and if this has been perimenopausal stuff nailing me the past few weeks...........ay ay ay ay! ok .......I had to vent! lol. chat soon.
  • Hi Matilda,
  • September Exercise Challenge Members List

We have a sister thread titled "September Weight Loss Challenge" please feel free to join us there as well if you wish. Be sure and let me know if I miss someone or something is incorrect and let me know if/when you meet goal so I can write met goal and change ink to red.....ty

FullSteamAhead: 1200 min.+
    crazymomaof4: Strength Training 3X a Week, Cardio 6 Days a Week--HIIT 3 days and C25K 3 days.
    Delphi: 2700 minutes
    dcapulet: 1200 min.
    ShrinkingGirl: continue with the c25k, continue Curves 3x per week, begin doing some real ab work at least 2x per week.
    Tummy Girl: to complete P90X, Doubles, Training Block 1. Which just means I'm doing the P90X program with my running M-W-F as well.
    nellywnb: Start the C25K plan, Curves 3X a week, Bike at least 2X a week, +
    Begin the 100 pushups a day plan.
    Bootsie: do 45 minutes of planned exercise per day, walking, exercise video, bike, etc.
    AngelD: start C25K, do my 10 minute solution toning DVDs on days I don't run.
    MyOwnSaboteur: 600 min.
    Krista: 15/20 min. 3x/wk or at least 45 min/wk.
    paisleyprincess: My goals will be exercise 1300 minutes, plus 500 push-ups military style on my toes and 1000 crunches.
    hugmequick: 1 hr. of exercise per week.
    Jessica Rae: 1 hr 6x.wk so 1440 min.
    Miss Mallee: walk for an hour 6x/wk.Run for 3 minutes straight
    gardenerjoy: 1200 min.
    Aclaia4067: run for 3 minutes straight, run at least twice a week, work out at least 4x/wk, + find time for a 2 mile swim sometime before the end of the month.
    BlueFruitMomma: 1500 min.
    MsPerception: Log 1800 minutes, ST 2x/wk, Run 3x/wk (min. 8 mi/wk)+Bike 2-3x/wk (min. 18 mi/wk).
    Bigmid: 1/2 hr. per day or approx. 840 min.
    nellonello: complete the first month of P90X.
    Sasha: workout 5x a week. Also I want to mix up my workouts and not just do machines.
    Matilda: get in 5 hrs. of cardio/wk.
    BellaEllaEllAaa: Cardio 30 minutes 5 times a week, Walking 2-3 times a week at least 20 minutes, Weights and toning 60 minutes a week, + stretching and yoga 10 min./day.
    JasonsLea: 1400 min.
    c laura: 1000 min. and a total of 50 miles.
    dollypie: 900 min.
  • I'm in!

My Goals

1. Cardio 30 minutes 5 times a week
    2. Walking 2-3 times a week at least 20 minutes
    3. Weights and toning 60 minutes a week!
    4. Stretching and yoga 10 minutes a day.

September
    1st
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    5th
    6th
    7th
  • Short 20 min for my 1200 for August, so going to keep my mintues low at 1200 again for September. And I bought a pedometer so I am aimimg for 10,000 steps a day - using walkertracker.com to keep track of that. Chances are if I am getting 10k steps a day, I am going to have at least 1200 min of exercise, but I will see because cleaning and shopping counts, lol.

aiming for 10,000 steps a day
    1200 mintues of exercise
  • Well I've been walking and had no problems with that, so last night I moved up to alternating running and walking (8.5 min of running out of 30 min total). So I think I'll just cut back to less running to start. Also, I talked to my sister who trained for a half marathon last year. She said she started with shin pains as well. Her trainers told her this is often a result of your shins not being as strong as the muscles in the back of your calves. So working my shins and taking it slow should help.
  • HEY GIRLS!!!

I'm in! 1400 mins for September!
  • Aclaia, hi that sounds good! sounds like you have it all worked out and it sounds good! Ty for sharing with us, it helps us all to learn. Every bit of info is helpful I for one have learned so so much from here and all you wonderful ladies! It's a journey I love and hope to continue.

Leaaaaaaaaa, hey chicky! omg! so great to see you and welcomeeeee. how have you been? hugsssssss.
  • BellaElla, wb
  • oooo...I'm a joiner
    Hi everyone.

I'm gonna be really busy in September so having an accountability group for the exercise I won't want to do will be great.

I'd like to put down 1000 minutes and a total of fifty miles.

yay! for planning for success
  • Aclai~I used to get shin splints (pains) every time I would try to start running more and I've heard many things about how to handle it. This time around, I used the C25K program to transition from walking to running and I did not have shin pain once. I finished the program last week and though it may not be what you want to do...the idea works. Slowly building your running up with walking between until you work up to running for longer stretches. I also do shin strengthening during my strength training. It's not an easy muscle to work. Trying to stand on your heels and hold it for a few seconds is a good one, though. If you do still get pain, ice it, but listen to your body, like FSA said.

So good to see so many ladies ready to start the fall off with a great move toward better health! I know I am ready to keep moving in the right direction. I figure if I keep consistant, I should reach goal in 3 more months! Yay!! I would LOVE to be in maintenance by the holidays! I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, though. Here we are beginning September and I'll be thrilled to meet the goal for THIS month! It's all about baby steps...LET'S DO IT!!
  • I would love to join in here! I am going to go for 30 min of cardio a day so 900 minutes of exercise!