WLS Patient Personal Info

You're on Page 4 of 10
Go to
  • I don't know if this will help, but it has worked wonders for me. I buy bottled water in 8 oz bottles. Then I am able to drink the bottled water, and the 8 oz stays cold. I also freeze the bottles and then let them thaw slowly in the fridge so that the water always stays cold. They are the perfect size for 1/2 package of crystal lite on the go too. I hope this helps you as much as this helped me. Good luck!
    Peace and love,
    talora

Geographical location: PA

Marital Status: Single

Children/Ages: None

Pets: Three domestic shorthair cats, Popeye, Spanky and Tiger

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, theater, classic rock and oldies music, drawing and painting, football (American), wrestling, forensic science/criminal justice, fashion, meeting new people (though I can be a bit shy at first).

Height: 5'4

Eye/Hair Color: Red/Blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 3/7/04

Starting Weight: 351 (highest weight back in 2004)

Present Weight: it's going to vary as it is dropping fast!

Goal Weight: 145-150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and getting in enough protein.

Following any specific plan: Had lap band surgery done 3/22/07

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I feel I am more disciplined and have a "glass half full" attitude.

Anything else you would like to share with us:

I was scheduled for Roux-n-Y gastric bypass surgery on 9/28/05, but
    I didn't get the gastric bypass done, and here is why.

Everything was going well and I had a mask over my face, being told to breathe deeply. Next thing I knew, I was awake and told the bypass couldn't be done, because not only did I have several intestines twisted...but a rare condition termed a malrotated digestive system was discovered; in layman's terms, everything is on the OPPOSITE of where it should be (example: my appendix was on the left side instead of the right). Actually, it was quite interesting. This is a disorder commonly found in children; only 1 in 5000 adults actually have this---AND they experience no symptoms throughout their lives, as I did. So the surgery I DID receive was to correct this problem as well as remove my appendix as a precaution in the event I ever got appendencitis.

Geographical location: Florida

Marital Status: Happily Married for 11 years and counting!

Children/Ages: 1 daughter age 9 (almost 10)

Pets: Bolt (Boston Terrier), Ian (tabby cat), Tigger (black cat), Lilly (black cat) and Marty (gerbil)

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, making rosaries, being with my family.

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color: Red/Blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 2005 (WLS journey start)

Starting Weight: 310

Present Weight: 291

Goal Weight: 150-170 (depends on how I feel and look)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: learning to like exercise.

Following any specific plan: Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I have reached the end of my tolerance for my current life-style.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Not that I can think of.
  • DATE: January 21, 2006

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Loodie/Linda

BIRTHDAY: September 17, 1949

MARITAL STATUS: Married, happily (but my hubby & I live 100 miles apart)

CHILDREN/AGES: 1 Daughter - 27
    2 Step-daughters - 22 & 25(married & expecting 1st grandchild)
    1 Step-son - 21

TOP WEIGHT: 273

CURRENT WEIGHT: 266

GOAL WEIGHT: 130

HEIGHT: 5'2”

EYE COLOR: Hazel

HAIR COLOR: Whatever color I buy--Currently red-brown (Naturally dk. brown & gray)

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN

SURGERY DATE: March 1, 2006

SURGERY TYPE: Lap RNY.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Quilting, reading, computer (Used to be walking & biking--maybe again)

GOALS: Lower blood pressure, stop taking meds, walk 2 miles, not have backpain all the time and weigh 150 or less.

PETS: 1 cat (Friend) & 1 dog (Fritz). They are best buddies & love to play together.

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: As a child in grade school, but with a planned diet (WW) in 1970(?)

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Exercise always has been. I am not a "go to the gym" type person & I don't swim. I did love to walk at one time though & ride bike & would like to do that again.

Geographical location: Upper Midwest

Marital Status: Engaged

Children/Ages: 1 terrific son who is almost 18

Pets: one dog, 2 cats and a few cows and chickens

Hobbies/Interests: Being a computer geek, fitness fitness fitness!, cooking and baking, traveling, scrapbooking, theater, boating, movies, interior design, going to concerts, just going out and living my life to the fullest with no regrets and enjoying every second of it..life is too short!

Height: 5'2

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Bluish-Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/12/01

Starting Weight: 370

Present Weight: 124

Goal Weight: I'm at goal

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Making the lifestyle and behavioral changes that comes with being a postop

Following any specific plan: Just a sensible diet..I only count calories

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It forced me to really look at myself, face the issues that caused me to eat and become MO..it has humbled me.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Just do it for YOU..it will only work if you work it..and always remember..it's just a tool..nothing is forever..at this point postop..almost 5 years..it's like I never had surgery (cept for dumping *which is a GOOD thing*)..it makes those changes that are required come in handy..without making those changes..it will be a much harder journey.

Geographical location: Minnesota

Marital Status: Happily married

Children/Ages: Brandon 9, Dustin 8, and Jillian 3

Pets: 2 dogs (Buster and Toto and 1 cat (Sammy)

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, internet, baking and cooking

Height: 5'7 '

Eye/Hair Color: Blondish, brownish, reddish..Is that a color? lol And my eyes are brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/03

Starting Weight: 301

Present Weight: 155

Goal Weight: I like where I am at..But would not mind losing a little more...

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting enough protein!!

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I actually lost the weight and have kept it off!

Anything else you would like to share with us: This surgery has been one of the best choices I have ever made in my life!!!
    Geographical location: Columbus, Ohio

Marital Status: married almost 25 years

Children/Ages: Girl, 21 and Boy, 18

Pets: Walker (doberman), and he has 3 cats, Princess, Bad Kitty, Onyx and one minpin, Dakota

Hobbies/Interests: Computer, losing weight, knitting, American Idol

Height: 5'3"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown, and curly - brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 3, 2004 - Gastric Bypass

Starting Weight: 229.9 but my highest weight was 265

Present Weight: 158

Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Clothes frustrations (this is a good thing, though), drinking enough water, and surprisingly enough - trying to eat enough. Handling compliments well - I'm not used to it yet.

Following any specific plan: WLS, jenny craig

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: the weight is coming off pretty regularly, but never fast enough.

Anything else you would like to share with us: You can still gain weight after weight loss surgery if you are not careful about the calories.
  • Hi ya'll

Geographical location: Houston, TX

Marital Status: In a committed relationship - Lesbian

Children/Ages: 3 nephews (8, 6 & 3) - the light of my life!

Pets: not yet

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, Basketball, 'my boys', researching WLS

Height: 5'3"

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Birth! Started researching WLS about 3 weeks ago.

Starting Weight: 275

Present Weight: 261

Goal Weight: ?? No idea what weight will look good on me. Will shoot for 150 and go from there.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Not eating everything in sight.

Following any specific plan: Weight Watchers, sort of but wanting WLS.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: No difference yet.

E-mail: [email protected]
  • It's been a long time, so...
    Oh my goodness... I first posted my "intro" in Summer 2004, and a **** of a lot has changed since then...

Name: Cat

Geographical location: Sacramento, CA

Marital Status: Single, w/BF

Children/Ages: BF's kids, 8, 10, and 13.

Pets: Maine Coon Mix: Robin. Irish Wolfhound: Boru. Chow/Retriever mutt: Ben.

Hobbies/Interests: Singing. Ethnic/ folkloric dance. Tribal (ATS, fusion, etc) bellydance. S.C.A./ Renaissance faires. Reading. Writing (songs, poetry, stories). Driving around No. Cal. The Ocean. All things medieval and renaissance. Mermaids. Ghosts. British, Scots, Irish folklore.

Height: 5'5"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Since the end of high school..? No, I started the Kaiser WLS program on June 27, 2005.

Starting Weight: 419

Present Weight: 401 (I've gone up and down a few time, was down to 380 and came back up when I had other medical conditions set in).

Goal Weight: Eventually, 165 (though I know I should be like 145 or 150 or something).

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Overcoming overeating (a recent development in the last year), getting more active, eating the RIGHT foods, dealing with emotional eating.

Following any specific plan: I'm in the bariatric program at Kaiser South San Francisco, and have been since last June. I was working towards losing my 10% (with their 1200 cal plan), but had some other health and personal issues set in and have had a lot of setbacks. Because of said health issues, they need to get weight off me fast so they can get me in for surgery by the end of summer -- So, I start Optifast next week... whee!

I firmly and truly believe in bariatrics as an option to a life-long battle with weight and all the health issues inherent. I hope to become an inspirational/ motivational speaker after my surgery and am relatively open about my journey with everyone. The Optifast isn't something I'd ever choose as a long-term plan, but for 2 months to get the weight off quickly... I'll deal.

~ Bella

Geographical location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Pets: None

Hobbies/Interests: Videogames, Reading, Surfing the net, Shopping shopping shopping!, hanging out with friends

Height: 5'1"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown X2

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 4th grade

Highest Weight: 286

Present Weight: 212

Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: At first: Overeating beyong the limits of my new stomach. Now: Exercising.

Type of Surgery: Sleeve gasterectomy

Date of Surgery: March 19, 2006

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Less effort and greater hope.. This time I actually believe I can make it!

Geographical location: Placentia, CA (OC Area), Relocating to Houston, TX by the first week of January 2007.

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: none

Occupation: Exception Processor (processing home insurance documents for lenders)

Pets: Shih-Tzu (my spoiled little prince Raiyah), 2 betta's (Hummingbird and Rainbow-Brite)

Hobbies/Interests: watching movies, shopping, spending time with hubby and my girlfriends.

Height: 5'9"

Eye/Hair Color: brown/brown (hair color depends on mood sometimes LoL)

Date of Surgery: Septmber 27, 2006

Type of Surgery: gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Junior High

Starting Weight: 254

Weight at surgery: 254

Present Weight: 254

Goal Weight: 140 I haven't been below 190 in sooo long, so to be able to reach 140 would totally be a dream come true.
  • Hello,My name is Trisha.
    I am pre op.Still waiting for my doctor to finish paper work , in order to send it to the Insurance company.( My insurance wants a years worth of supervised diet,a letter from my dr.,And I'm begining to wonder if they are going to ask for my 1st born.) LOL!!
    I've had my consultation,attended a pre-surgery class,support group,etc.
    Now all I have to do is wait for my approval once everything is submitted.
    Meanwhile I am stressibg over the fact that I have to loose 15-20lbs before surgery.I'm trying too belive me,it just seems to be a real battle lately.
    I have changed my eating habits,its the lack of excersise I think that seems to be the problem.I want to do more,but I'm recovering from knee surgey,just had it done 2 wks ago.But I starting to be able to more and more every day!
    If anyone had to loose some weight before they had surgery I would love to hear how you did it!
    I need as much help as possible
  • Congrats on your decision Trophy Wife. I love my band (most of the time!) and hope you will too. There are quite a few bandsters around here now, so if you have any questions, ask away.

Good luck!

Chickadee

Geographical location: Chile

Pets: A little brother :LOL

Hobbies/Interests: Computers, reading, science

Height: 5'5

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/3/03

Starting Weight: 245

Present Weight: 165

Goal Weight: 118

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Sticking to the diet after the first year
    Following any specific plan: Just the one my doctor give me

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This one works

Anything else you would like to share with us: I was 125 pounds in March this year but i loose control and i gained weight. So don`t trust only in the surgery, is a complete lifechanger experience
  • real name fiona
    geographical location west yorkshire uk
    age 34
    marital status cohabiting
    children/ages 2,1 of each ,dean 12 and shannon 8
    occupation carer
    pets 1 dog
    hobbies/interests nature ,arty crafty things, paranormol
    height 5` 10
    eye/hair colour hazel/black with red streaks
    starting date for weight loss 20/01/2005
    starting weight 365 lbs
    present weight 170 lbs
    target goal 140 lbs
    achieved weight loss with gastric by pass roux en y ,im finding really hard to lose the last 30 lbs and im just starting the plastics journey .ideally need full body lift.i still find the head hunger issue a problem