HEIGHT: 5' 6"

HAIR COLOR: black

EYE COLOR: brown

PREOP WEIGHT: 320

SURGERY DATE: 20/1/01

TYPE OF WLS: intestinal bypass

PRESENT WEIGHT: 242

GOAL WEIGHT: 200

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: watching tv and movies, going for walks, spending time w/my son and my boyfriend, dancing, cooking, internet junkie

i had wls in 2001 and i lost 100 lbs of my 320. it wasn't a lap band or stomach stapling procedure, it was simply a procedure to shorten my small intestine. the theory was "weight loss by malabsorbtion". it worked for about a year and then it slowed down considerably....well, it stopped actually. i was pretty confrotable at 200 for a while so i saw no reason to fight for more loss.

i gained back 20 lbs with poor eating habits. then i had a child, and gained 40 lbs with the pregnancy and 10 more after. i did atkins last year because i was afraid i'd end up over 300 lbs again. i lost 40lbs and i got a job that totally underminded my low-carb eating lifestyle. (i am a cook and had to taste tons of carb-laden goodies.) in the last 6 months, i gained 10 lbs. so i am back on atkins as of 2 weeks ago. i have already lost 5 lbs. my goal is 200 again. i kinda regret getting the surgery sometimes, it has made me sensitive to many foods i love. it was a life saving procedure, yes......but if i had only known about atkins then, maybe i wouldn't have had to go to such lengths.
  • NAME:Laurie

MARITAL STATUS: Married

CHILDREN: Nick 12, Brennan 7 and Julian 4

HEIGHT: 5' 7"

HAIR COLOR: reddish/brown with lovely grey underneath

EYE COLOR: hazel

PREOP WEIGHT: 334

SURGERY DATE: 07/03/02

TYPE OF WLS: DS

PRESENT WEIGHT:190

GOAL WEIGHT: 175

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: My kids,very involved in their school, reading, TV, traveling, eating, drinking, church, supporting newbies in their WLS journey

I had my DS in July of '02 with Dr. Anthone at USC. I have lost 144 lbs to date. At one point it was 150, but I'm up a bit. I am currently on Weight Watchers trying to get to my goal. I've never been this close and I am determined to get there!
  • Stevie Christine

Geographical location: Northern California

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: 1 - boy, Age 12

Pets: 13ish Cats. We love them all.

Hobbies/Interests: NFL (Patriots!), music, computers, sci-fi, movies.

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Brownish Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Forever, but surgery was 7/20/05.

Starting Weight: 261

Present Weight: 261

Goal Weight: 140ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water.

Following any specific plan: Roux-en-Y Weight Loss Surgery

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I feel like now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want my mom's jaw to drop when she sees me at Christmas.
  • I am new here, so here is a little about me...

DATE: 11 Oct 2005

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Valarie250/Valarie

BIRTHDAY: 27 Oct 1982

MARITAL STATUS: Married 1 year, 6 months

SPOUSE’S NAME: Ryan

CHILDREN/AGES: N/A

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Judo! I was an international competitor when I was 16-19, had to take a break when I hurt my knee. When I stopped working out constantly I gained like crazy… turns out I have PCOS! It was really hard to gain so quickly. I went from an athlete on my way to the Olympics to having high cholesterol, BP, resting HR of 89... That's not me! Judo is still my love, and I'm losing so I can start competing in the -171lbs division again.

PETS: Two dogs, Maximus (3yrs), and Otis (8mos)

TOP WEIGHT: 255

CURRENT WEIGHT: 249

GOAL WEIGHT: 170

HEIGHT: 5'4”

EYE COLOR: Green

HAIR COLOR: Auburn

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Atlanta, GA

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: I produce almost 4X more insulin than I should, even taking Metformin. No matter how hard I work, fat stays! It has taken me all year to lose 6lbs.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I am going to have RNY gastric bypass. I have read several studies that show people with insulin disorders often level out shortly after surgery. Pain is worth it if I make less insulin! After that, I have to just keep doing what I have been! I eat a lot less than I burn- I work out at Curves 3x/wk, lift weights with a trainer 3x/wk, play judo 2x/wk, and go to dance class 1x/wk... I don't lack for workouts! Hopefully after surgery I'll be working out again in under a month... I hate sitting aorund!
  • Hi Everyone...
    I had my surgery May 26,2004..at that time I weighted 248, my BMI was 42 and I felt and looked miserable..Today I weigh 180..and thats it..I want to be down to 155 by the first of January..but I have a husband who hates this weight loss and will do anything and everything to stop it..He doesnt care that its for health purposes..he doesnt care that I feel better, he doesnt care that I even look better...he just feels threaten by it..any ideas...??? BTW...would have it done a hundred times over....this was a God send!!!!
    Janet
  • I am new here

DATE: 13 Oct 2005

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Debo71/Deborah

BIRTHDAY: 08 Oct 1971

MARITAL STATUS: Happily married 12 years

CHILDREN/AGES: Two - 10 and 6

TOP WEIGHT: 304

CURRENT WEIGHT: 296

GOAL WEIGHT: 150

EYE COLOR: Brown

HAIR COLOR: Dark Brown

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Brandywine, MD

SURGERY DATE: I hope to get scheduled in December or early January.

SURGEY TYPE: Lap RNY.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Spending time with my family, bowling, reading, cake decorating and traveling and love going to the beach

GOALS: To reach a comfortable weight and to be able to go the the beach and really enjoy that time with my kids and husband and not feel as though other people are looking at me.

PETS: Fish, Hoping to get a dog to walk and for my boys to enjoy. They have been asking for one since our cocker spaniel died at age 10 , two years ago.

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: Ages ago, and has been an ongoing thing. But the weight gain started increasing after marriage and children.

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: I have terrible migraines and everything hurts (neck, back, hips and feet). Otherwise healthy.
  • DATE: October 17, 2005

USERNAME/REAL NAME: LoserLynn/ Lynn

BIRTHDAY: November 17, 1982

MARITAL STATUS: Single

CHILDREN/AGES: None

TOP WEIGHT: 297

CURRENT WEIGHT: 252

GOAL WEIGHT: 140

EYE COLOR: Brown

HAIR COLOR: Dark Brown

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Jacksonville, FL

SURGERY DATE: August 16, 2005

SURGEY TYPE: Lap RNY.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Hanging out with friends, arts and crafts, movies, internet, reading

GOALS: Lower my blood pressure (which I have done), get my BMI down to 24 (normal range), and get my weight down to 140.

PETS: 2 Jack Russell Terriers, and one beta fish.

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: Back in 2003, but got nervous and backed out of it. Then I dieted again and lost 30#, but gained it all back so started to look into the surgery again. I wish I would have done it then!

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Keeping motivated to stay away from the wrong kinds of foods, to exercise, drink water, take my vitamins, etc. This is not an easy way out like most people think. You still have to have will power after WLS! I am only 2 months out and am in no way physically hungry for food, but I still have head hunger when I'm bored or upset and I have to use my will power to control it. I also have to exercise almost everyday. So this was no quick fix for me! I never understood why people said that their new pouch is a "tool", but now I get it !

-Lynn

Geographical location: Starke, Florida

Marital Status: Divorced

Children/Ages: Daughter Age 17

Pets: Two Quaker Parronts,, Kiwi and Okra

Hobbies/Interests: Music, Swimming, Painting Ceramics, Playing games online

Height: 5'8"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/ Light Brown

Date of Surgery: October 3, 2005

Type of Surgery: Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Prob since 1987

Starting Weight: 365

Weight at surgery: 360

Present Weight: 330

Goal Weight: I Think I should be about 165

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: The drinking of water. Fluids, hard for me to keep track of . but trying ..

Anything else you would like to share with us:

I am excited about this. I am getting a chance to be a new me with eating habits. I know I am having minor complications at the moment. But guarantee I wont weight this much again.. Im gonna take this opportunity to make me a healthier me.. Im not sure If Ill be treated differently or If ill treat people differently.. Ill try not to.. but Im a bit nervouse to go back to work.. as Ill be different looking to them.. its kinda creepy in a way.. and now its even longer to go back to work .. due to the complications... anyway will cross that bridge when it comes..
  • gbo315 Real name: Pam

Geographical Location: Alabama

Marital Status: Married

Children: daughter/deceased

Pets: children of the fur, cats
    Tiny - orange, striped
    Tigger- black, white, light gray & brown striped 23lb.
    Tony- Long haired (like Tigger) Lighter orange sort
    of striped
    Toes- grey tiger cat
    Nicki- Calico
    Tasha- 18 yrs old little black cat
    Sissy - Calico
    Sugar- Most black & white
    Sheba- Dark calico

Hobbies & Interests/ Crochet, writing, sculpture, creative
    anything really, intrested in archeology,flowers life in
    general and love people.

Height: 5' 7

Eyes ,hair and skin tone : Brown

Date of Surgery: Waiting

Type of surgery: Roux en-Y

Date of weight loss journey: 1965

Top weight: 475lbs

Current weight: 368lbs

Goal weight 140

Soon a new beginning begins for me, I wish it had been possible oh so many years ago but I now will be able to live my life more fully and do all the things I would have loved to do. Most importantly, I will be set free to be the real Pam God made me to begin with.
  • USERNAME/REAL NAME: DancingAngel/Judy

BIRTHDAY: 11/21/1949

MARITAL STATUS: married 25 yrs in April

CHILDREN/AGES: Boy 21, Girl 18

TOP WEIGHT: 305

CURRENT WEIGHT: 115 this morning

GOAL WEIGHT: I'm happy

HEIGHT: 5'1”

EYE COLOR: Green

HAIR COLOR: Blonde

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Nebraska

SURGERY DATE: August 25, 1986

SURGERY TYPE: Gastric stapling

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Reading, music, piano, singing, dancing, acting

GOALS: To maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle, both physically and mentally\

PETS: Meshach the cat

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: In the 8th grade

BIGGEST HURDLE: I got pregnant shortly after surgery, had to train myself to eat enough calories to support my growing baby, and after I had her, I kept on eating the way I did when I was pregnant!

FOLLOWING PLAN: Nothing specific, just 1600 calories a day + 1 hour exercise (do DVDs, aerobics, Pilates, dance, step, strength/toning, stability ball)
  • Name: kfs151/Kim

Marital Status: married 16 years

Children/Ages: Girl, 12 and Boy, 8

Occupation: Computer Consultant (gives me lots of time for kids too)

Pets: Norbert, 4 yo Rhodesian Ridgeback & Zelda, 12 yo Dalmatian

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Anything to do with computers (especially RPG games), Scuba Diving

Height: 5' 3"

Eye/Hair Color: blue eyes and brown hair

Starting date of Weightloss Journey: Been dieting through my late 20's and 30's, waiting for WLS approval

Starting Weight: all time high was 320

Present Weight: 316

Goal Weight: hoping for 150

Anything else you would like to share with us: Long time 3FC lurker, love this site and the volume/quality of the info and support!

Geographical location: Ontario

Marital Status: Married 4 1/2 years

Children/Ages: 2 year old daughter

Pets: 1 dog named Max, 1 hamster named Nutmeg

Hobbies/Interests: crosswords, family stuff

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color: green/ chestnut brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sept 2000

Starting Weight: 250 originally (now I am starting again)

Present Weight: 198

Goal Weight: 135

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: binging

Following any specific plan: WLS & cutting calories

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I will not be a failure at WLS. I won't have people tell me I was stupid to have this done. I will get back to 135 like I was.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have a goal to get to 186 by Christmas. That will be 20 lbs lost since I started again.

Swingirl (Susan)
  • USERNAME/REAL NAME: Indi

BIRTHDAY: 3/20/63

CHILDREN/AGES:
    5 children ~ 22b, 18g, 17b, 15b, 10b

TOP WEIGHT: 245

CURRENT WEIGHT: 146

GOAL WEIGHT: 149

HEIGHT: 5'5"

EYE COLOR: Hazel brown

HAIR COLOR: Brown with blonde highlights

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: OH

SURGERY DATE: November 18, 2005

SURGERY TYPE: Lap RNY

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Yoga, Hand-Drumming, Bowhunting, Archery, Walking, Reading, Gardening

GOALS: To live a healthy, active lifestyle

PETS: Siberian Husky, Vladimir
    Cats: Cupcake & Phantom

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: Late 20's after the birth of my daughter.

BIGGEST HURDLE: Getting enough veggies due to IBS

FOLLOWING PLAN: Maintenence

Indi ~ Lap RNY 11.18.05

Geographical location: California

Marital Status: Single

Children/Ages: None

Pets: None anymore. Cat died recently.

Hobbies/Interests: Movies, TV (I'm so boring), swimming, activism/politics

Height: 6'

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/ Light brown with blonde highlights

Date of Surgery: October 25, 2005

Type of Surgery: Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Seems like forever

Starting Weight: 366

Weight at surgery: 368

Present Weight: 337 as of 11/17 (I don't have a scale, so I don't know what I am until my next doctor's visit)

Goal Weight: 165 or so.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: Drinking water has been hard. Maintaining my energy level after going back to work. I also had a complication and have another surgery two days after my first one. I was in the hospital for a week and then I had a feeding tube and a drain for three weeks.

Anything else you would like to share with us: So far, I'm still happy that I got the surgery. My scars are healing up and my clothes are getting a lot looser. I am determined to make this work.

Geographical location: Portage, IN (soon to be Valparaiso, IN as soon as I get married!)

Marital Status: Getting married April 29, 2006!!!

Children/Ages: No kids, getting two stepdaughers soon--ages 11 and 12

Pets: None

Hobbies/Interests: Church activities, watching movies

Height: 5'0"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark brown/Dark brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/18/05

Starting Weight: 265

Present Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 130 ??

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I am always able to get in my protein, but it is CONSTANTLY on my mind...I'm constantly thinking about what I've ate and what I need to eat to get in all the protein...like an obsession!

Following any specific plan: Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass diet...which is basically low carb, no sugar, high protein

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: So far this one actually works!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My next goal is to get to 160 by my wedding (April 29, 2006)