Seasoning for chicken casserole?

• I'm making a chicken macaroni casserole tomorrow - it's using up the cupboard time, it's been a long month..... :wink:

I got chicken breast, onions, small potatoes, macaroni, frozen carrots and I plan to make a white sauce. Don't have any cheese and I don't use canned soups.

So the question: What kind of seasoning or spicing would anyone recommend?

I've got lots of Indian spices but would prefer not to go that route.

Got bay leaves, nutmeg, mixed herbs, cinnamon, ginger, thyme, peppercorns, lemon juice, French and English mustard, salt.

Has anyone any suggestions which of these I could use, and in what proportions? I'm not a great guesser, and my options with this meal are to eat it or go hungry, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Got some brown bread I could crumb on the top, if that might work, or oats?

Ta.
  • There is a recipe called Easy Chicken Alfredo under entrees chicken in the Food post. Hope that helps. Enjoy.
  • Got no cheese but thanks for replying.
  • Do you have any nuts? Cashews, almonds, pine nuts, etc? You can make a wonderful cheese-tasting sauce from nuts, dijon mustard, salt, potatoes, onions, carrots, and pepper. Pour it on some pasta, add grilled chicken and pop it in the oven.
  • Add a pinch of nutmeg to the white sauce, along with a couple tablespoons of the mixed herbs and about 2 tsp of Dijon mustard. For a great breadcrumb topping, grind the bread to crumbs in a food processor and toast it in a skillet with a couple teaspoons of oil.

I'm assuming you have about a pound each of uncooked pasta and chicken.