What is AVERAGE and why do I care?

• I have spent the last week or so wondering what is "average" as far as size and weight goes for a 20-something...

I'm 5'4"ish and I weigh 175ish... My bust is 38", waist is 30" and hips are 38"... I wear a size 12 in jeans and a 14 dress... and a medium or large or exra large in shirts depending on where I am shopping... And for the longest time I have felt HUGE and so much BIGGER than average. I'm starting to realize I'm more "average" than I had thought. Most of the time I'm truly happy with myself- I think about my weight a lot because I lack the muscle tone, 134 lbs, and size 8/10 that I was when my husband and I got married... I worry about being bigger than I was when we got married because (in my head) I somehow feel I'm letting him down. He assures me it's all in my head and he loves me just as much but that is the main reason I want to lose weight- for HIM. To feel sexy for him. And to lose weight before we get pregnant with baby #2... but... if I'm "average" why do I care so much?

Well... when I think about things in terms of "average" or "bigger than average" and realize that I am more or less "average" sized... it is somehow comforting and makes me think I need to chill out on how hard I am on myself about this whole weight loss battle...

I know this probably isn't making any sense at all, I just wanted to share and get some discussion going on this- what do you girls think?
  • I try not to think of average but I am aiming for a healthy weight.
  • well let's see, you and I are about the same height, and our measurements are about the same (37-29-39) and yet you are 30lbs heavier than I am...so I think it's hard to apply the term "average" to bodies. But feeling "average" doesn't seem to have much to do with wanting to lose weight, either. Society tells virtually all women to lose weight, no matter how below average they might be.

Most of the time I think I'm average, and that I look good, and I still feel a lot of pressure to be thinner. I wonder why I'm not smaller, given that I've lost a bunch of weight and I'm in a normal weight range and yet I'm still a size 10 or 12. I'm working on getting away from numbers and comparing myself to others though.

Best wishes for baby #2
  • I would try to think of myself as unique rather than average. You are a strong woman with a husband who loves you (and wants you!) and soon to be two kids who are so important to you. That in itself is not average. You are special!

You are right, don't be so hard on yourself. You can and will do this!
  • Those are my exact measurements! 38-30-38!
  • From where I see it, everyone has their own type of average because we all are different and have different body types.