Avocado Gazpacho

• Sorry it took me so long to post this. I've been making this probably 20 years and still love it. Of course I tweak it based on what I have in the garden and what appeals to me It's from Vegetariana by Nava Atlas, http://vegkitchen.com/ I highly recommend her cookbooks whether or not you are vegetarian. Lots of good South Beach friendly recipes.

Serves 4- 6

Base:
    1 medium ripe avocado, peeled & quartered
    2/3 medium cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped (I never peel fresh from the garden cukes)
    3/4 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
    2-3 T chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 c chopped ripe tomatoes
    2 scallions (garlic scapes are good too), chopped

3 cups tomato juice (or veggie juice of any kind)
    juice 1 lemon
    1 T each minced fresh parsley & minced fresh dill
    1/4 t chili powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 T EVOO

garnish:
    1/3 cucumber, finely chopped
    1 medium tomato, finely chopped
    1/4 green pepper, minced
    1/4 c sliced green olives, optional

Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth; then transfer to serving bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.Chill before serving.

my notes: I always add more chopped veggies to mine, prefer spicy vegetable juice, and have never used the olives. Sometimes I add a splash of seasoned red wine vinegar, celery, or other veggies. I often use canned diced or plum tomatoes in place of fresh, depends on what's ripe when I make it.
  • Mmmmmm, this sounds so good! I'm fresh out of avocados but I'm going to pick up some tomorrow and make this since we have a ton of cucumbers and a few ripe tomatoes.
  • That sounds so yummy!
  • Oh. My. Goodness. This is sooooooo good! I just made it and had to sample it before I put it in the fridge to chill. It's especially good because most of the ingredients are fresh from my garden. I can't wait for supper!
  • I will be making this as soon as my avocados ripen! I have the rest fresh from the garden! sounds delish!
  • does it brown at all b/c of the avocado? Going to make this now for dinner!

It's more brown in color, not a bright red of a "regular" gazpacho. But the flavor is REALLY there! Here are my notes/additions/subtractions:

Base:
    1 medium ripe avocado, peeled & quartered
    1 hydroponic cucumber with peel
    1/2 red bell pepper
    8 basil leaves
    1 can of San Marzano tomatoes
    1 small yellow onion
    1 can V-8 juice (large can)
    Juice 1 lime
    1/4 t chili powder
    hot sauce to taste
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 T EVOO

I was going to take a picture but the color doesn't lend to how appetizing this is! It's chilling now