New Scale Frustrations

• So I started my eating healthy last Wednesday. I weighed myself on my scale, which I know is super touchy and not very good, but I figured it's better than nothing. It said 247.5. Then the scale bascially broke, it would read me as 233, 240, etc, all within minutes. So since it was a bad scale when I bought it new last summer to try to lose weight, I decided to buy another one. I didn't get to purchase one until yesterday, and I weighed myself this morning to hopefully get an accurate reading.

It said 250.5! AH! I thought that at least that first reading was accurate at 247.5. So either:

1) I weighed 247.5 last week and gained three pounds while eating healthy, staying in my calories, and going for walks. I just don't see how this is realistic, and if it is...AH!

2) I weighed 250.5 last week, and my weight hasn't changed at all during this week of healthiness.

3) I weighed even MORE than 250.5 last week, and so I have lost weight.

I did take measurments of my waist, hips, etc, so I have that to go by from my start date, and I know that the numbers on the scale are not the most important thing, and I'm proud of myself to be trying again to be healthy, but this is so frustrating! I thought I was going to get some encouragment from this new scale, but instead I was super dissapointed (what, encouragment from a scale? What was I thinking?!)

Just needed to vent, and get some support. Anyone else have frustrating scale stories?
  • At least now you know. I invested in a good scale and I get accurate readings. Considering how much we rely on the scale during our journey, a good scale is a MUST!
  • Each scale is diffrent.. i would start fresh and use the weight reading you get from your new one
  • I had this same thing happen. I was using an old scale. When the scale at the Dr's office read 16 pounds higher I figured my old scale had been broke all along. So I bought a new scale and it was higher than the Dr's! AKK.

Anyhow, I just decided to go with the numbers on the new scale and forget about everybody else's numbers. So now, I just don't even look when I have a Dr appointment casue I have way to many of those and the scale jumping would make me even more nutty!

Good for you for taking measurements, that will help a lot to see changes when the scale doesn't show them.

I wish you success on your journey!
  • Yeah, a good scale is important. And on my weight log, I erased last week's reading--I don't want a "gain" to show on my first week when I'm not sure that it actually is a gain!

I also took pictures from the front and the side last week, which I plan to do every 10 or 20 lbs (not sure which, but I think I'll more likely go for 20). I think that that will be a good way to measure too from the beginning.

Thanks for the support!
  • a little after I started (from the 320), I invested in a digital scale after using a spring, and the digital was 9 lbs higher, gave me kaniption fits, let me tell you. esp frustrating since I'd really just started to lose weight again.

It's worth it to have a decent scale, even if some trauma may be involved, ha!