moong dal- mashed lentils/split mung beans

• this is delish!! started out as a mashed potato substitute for phase one and is now fave comfort food! usually triple the recipe because prep requires some time&work. converted metric measurements so you might have to tweak them a little

MOONG DAL

1 cup split mung beans/masoor dal (red lentils-they are quite tiny)
    2 large tomatos, chopped
    2 green chili peppers, diced/chopped
    1 piece fresh ginger approx. 1 inch around, chopped finely
    3 large garlic cloves, chopped finely
    ¼ teasp. ground curcuma/turmeric
    salt to taste
    1 tablesp. chopped cilantro
    approx 8 curry leaves
    1 tablesp. olive oil (or other sb-friendly oil)
    garam masala to taste
    http://indianfood.about.com/od/masal...arammasala.htm

1. wash beans/lentils and soak in cold water for 15 minutes
    2. bring 1 ¼ liters (1.3 quarts) of water to boil. add beans/lentils, tomatoes, chili peppers, ginger and about 2/3 of the garlic and curcuma. let boil 30 min. Add salt to taste.
    3. remove pot from stove and mash mixture until smooth (or with a few lumps-whichever you prefer )
    4. fold in cilantro and curry leaves and simmer mixture for another 5 minutes
    5. heat oil in pan and fry remaining garlic until goldenbrown then fold into moong dal mixture
    6. finito!! enjoy.
  • Number of servings, please. Maybe four?

Note: Curcuma is turmeric.
  • thx ruth! i have to watch out for those pesky translating errors. oh and serves four. (sorry!)
  • Moong dal questions
    Janet

I bought the red lentils and am prepping to try this recipe.

Questions:
    I'm not sure what kind of chili peppers to use. Is fresh better? Would dried ones work? or canned?
    Curry leaves-I have a live curry plant. The leaves are very small, like rosemary. Does that work and would I really only use 8? They are very small.

Thanks!