Binge

• Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

I had a great day, diet-wise today. I even picked up a new workout DVD from the library (Turbo Jam Lower Body workout--SO excited!). After work, the hubby and I decided to go out to dinner to mellow out after a long, stressful workweek. We went to Don Pablo's and I quickly LOST MY HEAD. I ate everything in sight. I had chips and queso/salsa/guacamole/sour cream and then a cheese enchilada, beef taco, a flauta, refried beans, and rice. It was pretty darn good, too. But I could feel the overload of calories, fat, and sodium. I couldn't stop myself! Well, I could have, but I didn't. I was so mad at myself.

After dinner, I said, "Well, screw it, I already messed up. Might as well go all out for the night." I've had a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream and a chicken quesadilla. Ugh. I'm so mad at myself.

I know that I won't let this affect me tomorrow, but I'm so frustrated. My weigh-in will be disastrous. I feel like I'll never get to my weight goal. .

I'm going to try to do an extra workout tomorrow and do some reflection about what leads me to go crazy like this. I'm so eager to be much more strict on myself in order to lose weight faster, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

I'd love anyone's tips on how they avoid having crazy eating binges when they're feeling happy/sad/tired/alive/stressed/blah blah blah. I need all of the help I can get.
  • Lately when I'm having a crazy craving like that I go through the goals gallery on here and see all these women who have overcome their crazy cravings/binge inclinations, and have made it to their goals and are maintaining. It's really motivational.

I also have a few music videos that motivate me- like Stronger by Kanye! hahahaha!

Working out, getting out of the house, going for a walk, doing anything that distracts me. But you know, sometimes giving into a little craving is okay- but binging obviously is a huge reason why I am where I am right now.

SO... try to find things that motivate you past it I guess! You can do it, we all go through this, just keep at it. Tomorrow is a new day, and don't be hard on yourself.
  • dont worry, it happens to the best of us!

yesterday i had pizza for lunch.

the one thing i can say is that when you do eat something bad for lunch/dinner/desert, don't get in the mind frame of 'well, i already mucked up my day, might as well go the whole nine yards!' not only will you feel worse, but you can prevent from making a bad situation worse.

and dont get yourself down too much. just think possitively and get back on the wagon.
  • I agree with Lauren. It's all about changing your reactions to your slips.

Instead of, "Well, sh!t, I've already messed up, might as well eat a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese..." I've started responding to my eff-ups logically. Alright, how many calories did I just over-annihilate? And what can I do tomorrow or the day after to correct that?

Maybe, I rocked 1,900 calories instead of my aimed-for 1,400. So, I'm over 500. So tomorrow, I go for a run, I drink a ton of water, I drop my calorie intake by 150-200... and I don't beat myself up.
    What it comes right down to is... we're all trying to change for the rest of our lives. And I don't think anyone can realistically say that they're never gonna eat a chicken quesadilla or down some ice cream again in their lives. ****, I'm sure I'll eat an entire box of KD again in the next few months. So, now it's about re-training ourselves to react to our little slips in a healthy way, instead of... OVERreacting, panicking, and binging, as... feels totally natural to most of us, and is what got us to whatever weight we got in the first place...!

Don't stress! One day, one binge... it's not the end of the world. And you've already said, you're not gonna let it affect tomorrow. So, why let it affect you right now? Two days. That's all I give it. Two days your weight'll be up because of an excess of sodium. But if you give it your all for these next two days, stay perfectly on-plan and work your butt off... I bet you'll be losing again two days from now.

We believe in you!!!!!
  • Thank you all for your support! I planned to get back on track the next day and I was (!)...until we had a game night with friends last night. Blech. I gained two pounds this week.

BUT I'm even more motivated to get healthy now!
  • Keep the healthy attitude hun! Last night I fliped out because I had ice cream, so made myself throw up. I wasn't even over my points! I had 10 points left! I just lost my damn mind last night and I'm really disapointed in myself for that. We all need to keep in mind that mistakes happen and we can just move on!
  • Quote: Last night I fliped out because I had ice cream, so made myself throw up.
    um. that makes me nervous.
  • yeah. I've had some issues with BED but never made myself throw up before. I made myself nervous. I talked to a friend about it for a while afterwards. It's not something I plan to make a habit. I know it's not a healthy road to take
  • I agree with Jelbb - one of my rules is "I cannot feel deprived or like I am punishing myself." I couldn't go 3 days without sweets, let alone the rest of my life. So I control the portions and try to savor every bite. And I use real cream in my coffee and real ranch dressing on my salad (if the salad is the main course). I'm actually enjoying the food that I do eat more than I did when I wasn't watching what I eat.

If I'm craving Mexican food, I have Mexican food, but I go to the restaurant's website first to figure out what has the best combo of calories and sodium to work in my day.

Don't beat yourself up. This isn't about punishing yourself - it's about living healthier. Our instinct to punish ourselves probably comes from the same place as our instinct to overeat.... You have to find a new way of eating that you can live with for the rest of your life.
  • I binge on the purpose - well, more specifically, I allow myself one day a week (Fri or Sat) where I can eat whatever I crave. This way I give myself a mental break from dieting and also 'shock' my body with more calories than usual.

This way of eating has worked really well for me. It really takes the edge off my cravings during the week when I know I can have what I want 'soon'. (However, I still track calories for the 'cheat' day and make sure that my weekly calories are still in check. If I overeat, I'll compensate by eating a little less the next day or two.)
  • Uggh! I am going through the same thing. Its like I turn off and don't even think and then beat myself up about it after. I am sorry. The good news is a new day then begins and with a little extra work you are back on track.

• Quote: I binge on the purpose - well, more specifically, I allow myself one day a week (Fri or Sat) where I can eat whatever I crave. This way I give myself a mental break from dieting and also 'shock' my body with more calories than usual.

This way of eating has worked really well for me. It really takes the edge off my cravings during the week when I know I can have what I want 'soon'. (However, I still track calories for the 'cheat' day and make sure that my weekly calories are still in check. If I overeat, I'll compensate by eating a little less the next day or two.)
    I don't give myself a whole day. But I'll give myself a dinner (sometimes 2) per week to go a little off program. I do WW so i have my "flex points" to use on that (Pretty much the same concept as what you do with your calorie counting). It keeps me from feeling deprived