Choosing a goal weight.

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Optical, I adjusted mine as I lost weight. My first goal was to leave the obese category, then the overweight category. I then evaluated how happy I was with my progress and went down from there. I also have done a ton of reading about what I should be eating. I am definitely eating those things while still losing--slowly but surely. I always told myself I was a "big-boned" gal and had a thicker look, etc, etc. In actuality, I am in the lowest range of medium as far as bone structure. As I look back on that now, I was totally lying to myself as a way of protection I think. It allowed me to excuse myself from fitness. I am not saying you are--just my own experience.
  • i chose 135 from experience. I would be sickly at the ideal weight for me of 120. I was that once and had no fat on my body, plus I was bulemic/anorexic.

i have a medium frame and a muscular build. However, alot of people at 120 and my height look great! not me though.
  • 135 just always sounded like the ideal weight to me, but as long as I'm under 160 and healthy I'll be happy!

I think the number is less important than the feeling of your "happy" weight: healthy, strong, and confident.
  • Quote: Mine is base on:

Body Frame - Mine is Large
    Fitness/muscle Mass - I work out so have muscle
    BMI Chart - 150 is the "top" of the "healthy" range

Mine might be less or more, but I won't know until I get closer.

Exactly the same with me. I'm 5'6 or 5'5.5 depending on the day (haha) and 149/150lbs is the point where I'm no longer considered overweight on the BMI chart. I got down to 155 in 2004 and it was a good place for me...I just let things slip after that. Time to get back to where I want to be.

Kat
  • I don't like looking at BMI charts because they only take into consideration weight and height. They don't look at body types or muscle composition or any other factors. I chose 65 because my family said I'd look ridiculous if I tried for 60 (I'd be too thin). I also remember being around 143 when I first joined WW ages and ages and many many moons ago (I was 12 or so).

Ideally, I'd like less than 20% body fat.
  • I think this is a great thread question, it really got me thinking - I've NEVER been thin as an adult, have no clue what I should weigh, and just picked my goal weight out of a hat, so to speak - maybe I should really look into it more!
  • Another 5'7" here - I'm a medium frame and put on muscle easily. I've reached 150, and I guess I'm now on a pound-by-pound basis. At 42, I feel pretty darn good about how things look ... but after YEARS of experimenting, I've found a way of eating that really works for me and I'm still slowly losing - I don't WANT to add more calories. I figure I'll hit a level soon where the loss will stop, and well, that's where I'll stop!
  • set point
    Hi,
    It is hard to remember if I have ever had a time in my life I wasn't anxious about food and getting fat, but a couple years ago I felt good about how I was eating (mostly healthy) and exercising regularly. I wasn't really "dieting" and I was able to maintain 135. I think each person's body is different. What is your set point? If you are eating a healthy diet, a reasonable amount of calories and exercising regularly and your scale says 160 or 120 does it really matter?

I try to tell myself this stuff, but the truth is that the scale is a big clue whether I AM eating healthy and exercising, but I am open to the possibility that I could be eating 1500 calories and exercising and still not able to get to my "ideal weight." If this happened to me I think I would be OK with it.