sweet potato!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I have this thing about jalopena poppers that come from Walmart. So I stopped in to get some of them for me and my GKs and low and behold they had mashed sweet potatoes. I hate them! BUT, my DH loves the darn things. I got about a cup of them for him and he really liked them. I'll bet they were full of butter and what not, but couldn't have been any worse than deep-fried poppers!!!! I make a slimmed down version of a sweet potato casserole with skimmed evaporated milk, egg whites and light butter. Has a Whey low gold and pecan topping on it. My DH likes SF Carmel ice cream sauce on his baked sweet potato.
  • Today we had baked sweet potatoes and I split mine used french onion laughing cow cheese and bacon salt. Yum!!!!
  • I slice and bake mine with spices such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flake. Sometimes I use Italian seasonings and a Parmesan cheese.
  • Quote: There is a Bobby Flay recipe somewhere that bakes the slices in cream and chipotle peppers (the ones en adobo with the sauce). The contrast of sweet and spicy is great. The healthy version I have tried is to top the baked sweet 'tater with yogurt or sour cream (no,low or whatever fat content works for you) that has been pre mixed with some of the chipotle.
    Here ya go:

Smoked Chile Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

Prep Time:
    10 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    hr min
    Cook Time:
    1 hr 15 min

Level:
    Easy

Serves:
    4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

* 2 cups heavy cream
    * 1 heaping tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
    * 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 1/8-inch thick
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Whisk together cream and chipotle puree until smooth.

In a 9 by 9-inch casserole dish, arrange the potatoes in even layers. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the cream mixture and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cream, and salt and pepper to form 10 layers.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes, remove cover and continue baking for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the cream has been absorbed and the potatoes are cooked through and the top is browned.
  • Grabbed this from the WW recipes section. I scour this entire site for ideas...please keep in mind, I am a working mom w/ very little time- this recipe is very easy to do and can be done at different time of the day! I threw my sweet potatoes in the oven while getting my girls ready for school, left them to cool and then when I got home in the evening, they were ready for me to make my soup! I love it, have made it two times already!

Sweet Potato Soup

Sweet Potato Soup

2 large sweet potato(es)
    2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, divided
    1 tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 cup(s) fat-free evaporated milk
    1 tbsp chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400ºF.
    Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool. When cool, remove and discard skin; chop potatoes.

Combine sweet potatoes and 3/4 cup of broth in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set potato mixture aside.

Melt margarine in a medium-size saucepan; stir in flour and ginger, and then add milk. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Cook 1 minute more and then stir in sweet potato mixture and remaining 1 1/4 cups of broth. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Pour into 4 serving bowls and sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon of pecans.

For an extra flavor boost, consider adding a dash of curry powder with the flour and ginger.Yields about 1 cup per serving.4 Points per Serving