help! how much sodium is badd!

• Does anyone know how much sodium is recomended when losing weight and what the limits are to still lose weight??
  • I think it may be 500-1000mg but I can't be certain.
  • I'm a salt addict.. I don't drink/smoke.. I salt.. I don't think it's been a problem with my losing weight.. but I know it's not overly healthy...
  • Salt won't hinder your ability to lose fat in the least. What is does is mask your hard work when you plump up from the water retention it causes. But that's entirely temporary. It's not good for your blood pressure to have too much. I think the recommended max for a 2000 cal diet is 2400 mg.
  • I too am a huge salt lover, I even add it to my fruit or I did until a couple days ago. I have been trying to cut back.

You can check this site out. I hope it helps.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

Hugs
    Michelle
  • It's the food. It's not the sodium, not the water. You want to lose fat, not water weight. It's about the food...

Jay
  • If you have any medical issues, definitely ask your doctor what amount of sodium they'd recommend for you. But otherwise, salt doesn't hurt your weight loss, like everyone else said... so eat whatever amount you're comfortable with.
  • Salt is a natural adrenal booster. If you have adrenal fatigue you will crave salt. This occurs in very stressed people and adrenal fatigue also causes weight gain. If you crave alot of salt you might want to look into an adrenal gland booster like shisandra.
  • Quote: It's the food. It's not the sodium, not the water. You want to lose fat, not water weight. It's about the food...

Jay
    Soooo true.
  • Quote: I too am a huge salt lover, I even add it to my fruit
    LOL! I am just the opposite end of the spectrum. I use salt so sparingly ... always have. These days, I make myself an omelete each morning (1 whole egg + some egg whites) and I don't put any salt into it, not a single grain. I eat it as a McMuffin, on a whole wheat English muffin and I add a dab of horseradish mustard as seasoning and I find it just fine that way.
  • Thanks everyone! not as much as adding salt as i was worried about how much was in foods! i rarely add salt. For instance some weight watcher meals have 450 to 600 mg of salt and i love v8 juice and i drink the low sodium version as it only has 200 vs 690 for tha 11.5 oz can. it adds up quick! So i was just curious! Thanks ladies
  • I don't have any other medical problems apart from being fat so I don't worry about salt except for the day and a half before I weigh in. I cut down on salt then so that I'm not retaining water when I weigh in. But that's just for my personal benefit. I would still lose the weight, it would just be masked by the extra water I would be retaining.

Other than that, I don't care! I love a little salt on/in lots of things!
  • I am like Miss Tomato, I don't add the extra salt, I have high blood pressure, But I have been known to add salt on my water melon now and then.
  • i Like pepper on my watermelon--also put it on cantelope! yum.