Popcorn "Recipes"?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, I used to buy microwave popcorn all the time (usually the allegedly more "natural" ones) until I learned about this cheapo method where you just throw about 1/4 cup of kernels into a brown lunch bag and microwave them for 2-3 minutes.

OMG! I'm never ever going to buy the prepackaged popcorn again. Not only is this so much cheaper, it was a lot, lot, lot yummier. I used organic (fwiw) popcorn and no oil/spray and just sprinkled a little salt and vanilla sugar on after popping. So good!

Some web sites claim they use staples to close the bags and that it doesn't create sparks, but I, being overcautious as always, only folded the bag three times and it came out fine.

NOW. This, of course, opens up a whole new world of possibilities...

For those of you who use this method (or an air popper) - what do you flavor your popcorn with? I'm good with salty, sweet, spicy, herby... thinking of trying wasabi powder, maybe herbes de provence, paprika... ideas?
  • I bought a microwave corn popper at target a long time ago, and I use that. Its just a big bowl with a lid on it really. Anyway, my favorite thing to do is drizzle a tsp of olive oil on top, add soem butter buds and salt.

I've also tried chili powder and garlic powder, as well as other spices but I must say my fav is the bit of olive oil and butter buds
  • I throw crushed red peppers and a bit of seasalt in..YUM if you like it a little warm.
  • I have an air popper and I put sea salt and splenda on it (although I am cutting back on artificial sweetners. I might try stevia, though). I find this tastes like kettle corn and satisfies my salty/sweet cravings.
  • Oh yum, these are some great suggestions! Linda, thanks for introducing me to the existence of butter buds - I'm intrigued and will look for them next time I'm grocery shopping.

Annie, red peppers are an excellent idea!

Nurse, I've cut down on artificial sweeteners, too - especially Splenda, which has a weird aftertaste for me. I recently discovered a brand called TruVia (I think it's a mix of stevia and erythritol) - I like the taste when used sparingly, but it's a bit pricey.
  • Can you tell me how long you cook it? It sounds great!!
  • Brown Paper Bag??
    Wow! Where have you been all my life?? A brown paper bag?? It sounds too good to be true!! I cannot wait to try this. I wish it wasn 't bedtime! Thanks for the tip. It makes me want to dance-

Sylvia from NS
  • I first found out about the brown paper bags from Alton Brown. I just listen to the popping and shut if off when it slows down. If you don't put oil in the bag then you can repop the ones that didn't pop the first time and reuse your bag a bunch of times.

I'm trying to convert my DH but it isn't going well.
  • Lime juice, cumin, and a pinch of cayenne! With salt, of course. Yum! If you must add some fat, olive oil works good with this combo.
  • This is the only way we eat popcorn....I usually put about a Tablespoon of light smart balance (45 calories) in with the kernals then add a bit of salt after its done popping.
  • Awesome ideas, everybody!

I introduced my husband to our new popcorn style yesterday evening, and he's enthusiastic - yay!

@zenor:Lime juice - intriguing! Kind of makes me want to try to make caipirinha kettle corn with lime juice and brown sugar... hm...

@Realist: like zinkemom says, listen until the popping slows down. I've had good results with ~3 min. for 50g of corn, but it really depends on the microwave I guess.

@Sylvia: that was pretty much my exact same reaction when I found out about this, and then when it actually turned out great!
  • I'm going to have to try this brown bag thing. I love popcorn!! I usually lightly spray mine with butter flavored Pam and sprinkle on one packet of Splenda and a heavy dusting of cinnamon. It's soooooo yummy!!
  • The brown bags can burn. It's been a long time since I used those, so I don't remember what made it worse or avoided it, but I definitely remember that problem.
  • Quote: The brown bags can burn. It's been a long time since I used those, so I don't remember what made it worse or avoided it, but I definitely remember that problem.
    I do popcorn almost everyday in a brown paper bag in the microwave. It's never burned the bag. It usually take 2-3 min.
  • I love popcorn this way - adn it's so cheap!!

I suppose it's no more prone to other bagged popcorn to burn. Just gotta keep an eye on it.

I like salt and a little sugar on mine. Yum!