The Big Skinny by Carol Lay

• Carol Lay is a cartoonist who does a lot of work about her own life. Her new book is "The Big Skinny: How I Changed My Fattitude" in which she describes how she was always overweight, failed at WW, etc., and didn't really get a hold of her weight until she followed the maxim "eat less, move more."

Her weight loss advice is all pretty straightforward. Her depictions of interactions with friends is pretty funny -- the opening page, in fact, is a hostess at a party who hasn't seen her in a while and is amazed at how she looks. She asks, "How did you do it?" Carol responds, "I count calories and exercise every day." Followed by several panels of the hostess just staring at her, silent, until she says, "Gotta go, bye." Then Carol wonders what the woman wanted her to say: "Liposuction? Pills? Strictly watermelon?"

Anyhow -- there's nothing groundbreaking in there, but it's nice to see a story about a woman who changed her body and appearance the old-fashioned way, not through some gimmick.
  • I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

Kira
  • Put it on hold at the library!
  • Thanks for the heads up.

I know what you mean about nothing ground breaking, but nevertheless, I do enjoy reading about yet another person who's "gotten it".

Funny how the "eat less, move more" did it for her. For some it's just too simplistic, but it just may have been that simplicity that struck a chord with Carol.

So excited, our newly renovated and under construction for over 2 years - library - will be re-opening June 11. This is just another book I've got on my list.
  • I picked this book up at the used book store about a month ago. It was simple and straightforward. Just the ticket for my 13 year old daughter who is trying to lose weight too.
  • sounds interesting
  • Quote: Her weight loss advice is all pretty straightforward. Her depictions of interactions with friends is pretty funny -- the opening page, in fact, is a hostess at a party who hasn't seen her in a while and is amazed at how she looks. She asks, "How did you do it?" Carol responds, "I count calories and exercise every day." Followed by several panels of the hostess just staring at her, silent, until she says, "Gotta go, bye." Then Carol wonders what the woman wanted her to say: "Liposuction? Pills? Strictly watermelon?"
    Heh. Haven't we all had those conversations?