Finding myself 4 years post partum! Any others?

• Hello Board,

Im a mom who gained a whoppng 70 pounds with my son. After he was born, I found myself trying to balance between his care and work and my marriage (sound familiar?) and so weight loss was very low on the priority scale. I also was not very concerned with my outward appearance as I realized that there was more to life than if I fit into a size 6 jeans or not. However, lately I need to loose weight - not for looks (although it would be nice to have a guy gawk at me again...I thought Id never say/write this!!!) - but for health. I wake up fatigued on most days, I am lethargic and unfit. So here is my big leap.

For more background, I am a lifelong dieter. As a teenager, I was overweight at 150 pounds. After having left my parents house, I embarked on a decade and half struggle to keep my weight at 120 pounds. I was a cronic dieter and fitness freak. This experience kind of wore me out and was one of the barriers I had to overcome to try to loose this post partum weight. No longer do I want to be 120 pounds but I would like to shed 20-30 pounds and I need friends/support for this.

Does this story sound like yours? Id like to hear from others who are in this boat.

Cheers!
    J
  • Welcome! I gained 85 pounds with my munchkin, so I know how overwhelming it feels! It seems like the weight should be easy enough to lose, but it's not. I'm counting calories. What are you going to do?
  • My youngest is 5. I started my journey one year ago this month. I was 232 when I delivered her and was 215 a year ago. I didn't do so well shedding the baby weight. Things went well while nursing but when I stopped I gained weight again. Granted, I wasn't watching my calories or exercising or ANYTHING for that matter. So, it is no surprise to me that I became obese.

You can so do this! I am glad you are here.
  • Hi Cincimom and Thighs be Gone (thats a funy name)!

thanks for your support!

Cincimom, I plan to start with a modified juice detox diet. I'm choosing this route because: 1 - I have shares in an organic farm & I get LOADS of fresh produce and have a hard time consuming it all, 2 - I really feel like I need to cleanse my system and get as much fresh fruit and veggies in my system, and 3 - Im going to Paris to see friends I havent seen in 20 years and Id like to look radient. Also I am the type who stays very motivated if I see some results (defined by 7 pounds or more weight loss). If youre counting calories have you tried Spark People? They have a great nutrition tracker! I see that you've lready lost 5 so Kudos to you.

Thighs - I had the same problem too when I quit breastfeeding. I gained a whopping 15 pounds afterwards!

We CAN do this!
  • I gained a lot of weight with my first daughter - about 60lb I think. That was 10 years ago and I still carry all that weight. I've had 2 other daughters since and lost the weight I put on from them fairly quickly. Once I've lost 7lb more (from weight I put on after a miscarriage 5 years ago) then I will finally lose the weight from 1st daughter after all these years! It is so hard to balance family life and lose weight - I've taken to getting up an hour before everyone else to exercise and I'm calorie counting so no need to be excluded from family food treats as long as I don't have too much. It's working for me so far.

You can do this - look at all the before and after photos and see how other people have done - it's so inspiring and very helpful to see losing weight really is possible.
  • You'll be a MILF in no time at all! (Sweetly said and from one mom to another!)
  • Welcome. I had my daughter 3 years back. Still carrying the 20 pounds I gained during pregnancy... Currently seeing some good progress. I am counting calories & walking 2 miles in treadmill everyday.

Good luck with your weight loss effort!