Green Smoothies

• Anyone make green smoothies?
    I mix some kale, an orange, an apple, a banana and some ground flax seeds, wonderful morning pick me up.

Might have to invest in a Magic Bullet just for me, DH not to fond of them. oh well to each there own I guess.

I am starting the e2l eating plan, as soon as I get the book, and trying to incorporate much more veggies in my diet.
    I know I can do this.
  • I have been planning to try! I actually have a juicer that my mom gave me, but I was thinking of trying the blender too, to keep the fiber and good stuff. I have seen similar recipes (except not so much banana with the greens) with lemon juice and ginger too.
  • I have a Vitamix, it's great. My favourite drink right now (not green, but mmmm good) is pineapple, orange, apple, banana, flax, wheatgerm and a bit of ice all blitzed up.

For greens, I use lots of spinach and whatever other veggies are available (celery, kale, cucumber, parsley) with an apple. The veggies seem to take on the taste of the fruit.

Here's the recipe for Dr. Oz's shake from the Oprah show:

What's in Dr. Oz's green drink?
    • 2 cups spinach
    • 2 cups cucumber
    • 1 head of celery
    • 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
    • 1 bunch parsley
    • 2 apples
    • Juice of 1 lime
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon

After everything is combined in a blender, this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings. Oprah takes a sip and is pleasantly surprised. "It's a glass of fresh," she says.
  • I have had my Vitamix for 15 years, since hubby owned an espresso catering business.

My omnivore dh and dd will drink the green smoothies if I make them. I usually throw in:

2 handfuls of spinach
    slice of cabbage
    2 cups frozen berry mix from Costco
    2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 apple
    1 orange
    1 cup ice

Yummo!

I love it, we get goodness and they like it, dd's friends at school ask if she stopped at Jamba Juice on the way to school. We use corn-compostable clear cups and lids.
  • A friend gave me her vitamix 3600plus today!! i am so overjoyed, i could never have bought one on my own.
    i made a raspberry and banana smoothie just to try it out.
    i love the thing already, it also is a grain mill for grinding my own flour. i couldn't be happier.
    its old but hardy ever been used.
  • OMG - you are sooo lucky! Vitamixes are so expensive! I have wanted one for a long time.

I do have a very good quality Acme Juicerator 6001 that I inherited from a relative. Today I made a delicious carrot, apple, ginger, lemon, and cuke juice. It ROCKS, and my favorite juice is a variation on Dr. Oz's green drink.

My husband and I were drinking these green drinks almost daily in the summer, but then I started to read a lot about oxalic acid in spinach and dark greens. Since my husband is a type 1 diabetic and has had a kidney stone (we don't know what kind it was), I thought I better lay off the daily spinach - very sad because I LOVE spinach in juice and smoothies (and other ways...ah). I still use spinach now and then but not daily.

Anyone know anything about oxalic acid or have concerns? I realize I'm highjacking to ask that, but the thread made me think of it.
  • My DH can't do a lot of spinach because of gout.
  • I would LOOOVE more info on green smoothies!!!

I have a blender, and I have a freezer full of ice, and I am doing a costco run tomorrow to buy groceries (I live in Seward, Alaska about two adn a half hours from Anchorage, the closest city with a big grocery store) so as much info on green smoothies asap would be amazing!
  • Smoothies are a great way to start the day.
    i would get some fruit, your choice, apples oranges mangos bananas watermelon what ever your fancy is.
    Then get some fresh greens like kale or spinach.
    in your blender, add about 1 cup water, and a handful of greens, blend then add some fruit, to taste.
    there are tons of recipes online also, its more of a taste thing with me.
    hope this helps
  • Which is better in your opinion, kale or spinach? Can you think of any way to describe the difference between them?
  • IMHO kale is bitter and hardier green, spinach is mellow and cooks up quicker.
    i like spinach any which way, kale in smoothies.
  • My fav is grapes, spinach and a couple frozen strawberries. Even my kids love green smoothies...well as long as I start with 1/2cp- 1cp of grapes for sweetness. We've tried a lot of combos

I make mine in the bullet...but it gets terribly messy. I've been looking into getting a blender to make things easier.