Bit of a ladies only question!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, it's my "time" at the moment and obviously there's a little water retention (which fortunately I dont get too badly) but I seem to get a couple of days where I feel like I've eaten the entire house!

For example today, I've had oatmeal for breakfast, tuna salad and strawberries for lunch and home made chicken soup for dinner; with this I also had 3 home made oat and apricot cookies (Low GI recipe), carrot and celery sticks with houmous dip and a slice of chocolate banana loaf (another Low GI recipe).

Anyone else feel extra hungry around this time and how on earth do you stop yourself eating too much?
  • OMG yes- I am STARVING around those times, I actually normally eat about 1600 calories a day, those days I allow myself a little more- up to 1800. Like I usually crave pb and J around that time so I have half a sandwich with pb and j and one glass of milk, if I don't I can't function.

I remember reading once somewhere that women need a few extra calories during their period- don't know if it's true or not- can't find concrete information- but I mean I figure since it's only those few days I'll have that tiny bit more of calories

I mean as long as you aren't pigging out on chips and candy I think you are fine.
  • From what I've read you burn about 500 more calories during your luteal phase (the time after ovulation and when you start.) I haven't heard that you burn more during your period though.
  • I find I can gain as much as 4lbs...but I think a big thing is to overload on water, weirdly drinking extra helps combat retention.
    I try to load up on extra veggies, like a huge bowl of mixed green veggies stir fried!
  • Yeah, it's awful. I usually spot myself another 2-300 calories per day during those times. I also try very hard to stay away from food in general on those days 'cuz if you get me near something (family, friends, small cars, pets) I may eat it. Seriously, I do avoid the kitchen...have been known to put 3 chairs across the kitchen opening and ban myself that way.
  • BTW, on the WeightWatchers site they have a very interesting article on calories and having periods...visit Google, do a search for calories menstruation and you'll see their link...think it's second one down.
  • I just get really hungry 4 days before. Not during. I generally feel really good during.
  • I go crazy with hunger the week before, but once it starts, I'm home free. I mostly have the desire to eat, instead of actual cravings, so I'll munch on carrots or any crunchy vegetable just to keep my mouth busy.
  • Red meat and carbs.

If I don't get my Outback special a few days prior (aka juicy sirloin, baked potato, bread, broccoli and a Patron Margarita), the PMS will kill me.. or technically.. anyone in my path

Thank goodness for Flex points.
  • YES YES YES!!!
    I never noticed it until I got serious about losing weight, I guess before I just ate more, but now...
    I have at least 2 days when I want to eat the world. And I mean, it physically hurts I get so hungry. And here I was berating myself for being a wimp and a weenie for it, thinking it was all just between my ears, feeling deprived etc.
    thanks for bringing up the subject!
  • You need meat. Cook yourself a nice roast a couple of days before your hungry time starts, and you'll have something great to snack on.
  • Peep your reply made me giggle so much I snorted!

Ahh, I'm so glad it's not just me. I actually thought the same as you, dutchgirl; that it was just "in my head" but when my stomach actually starts growling and hurting where I'm hungry...

I didn't realize eating a bit more meat would help - is it just meat or protein in general?
    I wish I could have the carbs, but I'm such an addict for them if I start I won't stop!

I wish I could ban myself from the kitchen, but until the end of the month (when OH and I move) I'm in a studio apartment...My kitchen is in the room I'm in all the time!!
  • I think its iron your body requires.

I found this cute wiki question: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...f_menstruation

facts and myths of menstruation.. some of thee are funny
  • I'm 47...this should all be over in a couple of years. I just gotta hang on for a couple of years. Please God, just two or three more years. I HATE T.O.M.!!! HATE HATE HATE.
    I feel better now.
  • PMS - and I eat small children...well technically I could. About a week before - along with emotion and being a complete witch I want to eat everything. Next month I am going to keep myself as occupied as possible and drink a ton of water. Oh and I gain up to 8 pounds. So no going near the scale during that time!