c25k & weight loss?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks Skinny
  • The weight FLEW off of me once I started running 3 months ago. That is where the majority of my weight loss has come from. I was working out with a trainer and was losing NOTHING. I broke up with my trainer. Then I started running and suddenly it all started coming off.

If you have a heart rate monitor (I have a Polar F7) it will more accurately calculate your calories burned because it bases it on your sex, weight, height, and most importantly - consistently monitored heart rate. I laugh at 100 cals per mile. I know that's what RW says, but that's what in shape people burn. Let's face it, I'm still obese by BMI standards and still out of shape. When I started I was burning about 530 cals for 30 minutes of C25k - and I was averaging about 1.8 miles during that time because I was running slow. Yeah I was THAT out of shape. While the RW formula is well and good for average folks, it does not take into account how in shape you are. You may very well be 150 lbs but completely out of shape, therefore resulting in harder work and a higher heart rate.

No one knows the exact number of calories you burn unless you go to a special lab that involves a lot of extensive testing. But I think a HRM is a good way to get an estimate, and they are more reliable than the cardio machines.

Bottom line - carcar, if you exercise consistently (and I would advice doing strength training or cross training on your rest days) and eat well, you'll lose weight.
  • I lost my tummy and some jiggling in my thighs! and i cant wait to lose more jiggle and gain more muscle in my legs.. its not about being skinny anymore for me its about looking good and feeling like you are on top . and thats what running does for me
  • Yeah - I talked to a girl I work with who has an MA in exercise physiology and she basically just said everything you did, Fat Pants. The more inefficient your exercise, the more calories you burn - so if you're "out of shape" or "heavier" you're putting more stress on your body therefore burning more calories.
  • Quote: so - at my weight i burn about 150 cal according to this article.
    will know better how much i actually burn after tomorrow night's C25K training with the GoWear Fit. will let you all know then.
    my little report from my C25K walk/run today:
    2miles and 330 cal gone.
    i burn about 165 calories/mile.